10U speed vs accuracy vs experiece

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
You don’t learn to pitch in the circle, you learn to pitch so you can get in the circle.
So why are you spending thousands of dollars on your DD pitcher to play 10U TB? Just have her play rec and practice in the backyard until 16U when she can then collect all of her P5 offers?

Unless you think the mental part of the game is irrelevant, game experience plays a role in the development of pitchers (albeit a smaller one then for hitters IMO)

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023
I think you messed up by trying to do anything with the Pitchers. Your job is to put them in the game. And then Take them outta the game if they're drowning. And make it no big deal when this happens.
All good, I came here for perspective. If they came back, I'd give them innings. That is what is great about a forum, frank opinions with no confrontations.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
10U rec should be coach pitch for a couple of innings then kid for the last two, at least in our area it should. Or it becomes a walk-a-thon and many kids/parents will move to another sport. A lot of parents have their kids in rec so they can try out the sport and are not willing to spend the $25-$50 for lessons, and that's assuming they can even find an instructor that knows what he/she is doing. I know the rational for having the kids on the mound, 'they have to learn to pitch at some point don't they?', but it doesn't work like that when it comes to pitching.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018
Texas
10U rec should be coach pitch for a couple of innings then kid for the last two, at least in our area it should. Or it becomes a walk-a-thon and many kids/parents will move to another sport. A lot of parents have their kids in rec so they can try out the sport and are not willing to spend the $25-$50 for lessons, and that's assuming they can even find an instructor that knows what he/she is doing. I know the rational for having the kids on the mound, 'they have to learn to pitch at some point don't they?', but it doesn't work like that when it comes to pitching.
I agree with this 100%.

Jun 18, 2023
Here we call it 3rd/4th grade but it's basically 10u. In spring rec we do coach pitch to finish the AB for the third+ walk in an inning, which I think works well. Once summer comes we've been splitting those up in to basically A/B but the league we play in drops the coach pitch part. Kind of thing they should keep it, because it's not like it's really cutthroat competition or anything, it's just "who's serious enough that wants to keep playing" at least for most of the teams. (others seem to use it as almost a secondary league to get more reps in)

May 13, 2021
So why are you spending thousands of dollars on your DD pitcher to play 10U TB? Just have her play rec and practice in the backyard until 16U when she can then collect all of her P5 offers?

Unless you think the mental part of the game is irrelevant, game experience plays a role in the development of pitchers (albeit a smaller one then for hitters IMO)
Wouldn’t do much for the rest of her game.

May 27, 2013
How 10U worked in our LL was pitcher pitched until they either struck the batter out, ball was put in play, or got to ball 4. At ball 4, opposing coach would come in and pitch to their batter. I believe they were given 2-3 more pitches to work with. Batter was out if they didn’t put the ball in play on one of those pitches. Strikes still stood so if the batter had 2 Ks on them and the coach came in and batter swung and missed at the 1st coach pitch she was out. It worked well - kept the game moving and there was no walk fest. Also had a 5 run rule per inning.

Girls got a chance to pitch but didn’t feel defeated because there were no walks. Also taught batters that they had to swing at the ball.

Sep 12, 2023
There is no coach pitching but they do have a dropped third strike steal 1st rule. I think it is supposed encourage kids to take some swings, but it is a lot for them to keep track of. You can also steal home and mercy 5 run rule is in place.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414