10U pitch speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
The fastest we saw in So Cal 10U TB was low 50's. From 35', that gets REALLY hard for most girls to connect with. Generally, those pitchers will dominate a game if they can keep it in the strike zone. I heard that there were a couple of girls at PGF Nats throwing mid-50's, but I haven't seen it for myself.
Part of what determines "average" is going to vary depending on the level of play, so I changed my descriptions a bit. Some generalizations (IMO)...

Fast = 50+
Good = 45-ish
Decent = 40-ish
Slow = sub-40 (you will probably see a lot of this is rec ball)

My DD has played against one of these girls a couple of times in 10U and I got to see her again a couple of weeks ago. As a 9yo she was consistently hitting 52 on the ball coach and had a decent change up she is a very intimidating pitcher for young girls standing at 5'11" her dad is a very big man at 6'10". I did not get to see her pitch her 2nd year of 10U but according to numerous sources she was throwing 56 consistently. She is not currently throwing the ball well, I heard she is having hip problems and hasn't been pitching to often and was only hitting 47 on the gun as a 04 12U two weeks ago. As for the other girl I have never seen her pitch but one of my buddies DD plays on her team and he said she is also very intimidating girl, very big and a lefty. I hear it said fairly often that she is considered to be the best 04 pitcher in the country right now. They are currently on the same team Diamond Sports Hotshots Mixed Gold 04 out of the Houston area. There was a couple of months during their first year of 10U that they were on the same team before the lefty split and went play for Diamond Sports Hotshots Gold. Were she lead her team to win the USFA World Series in Panama City Beach, FL, The Triple Crown World Series in Oklahoma, and the PGF championship all in the same month.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
5'11" at 9 years old!? Wow.

Yea the first time we played them when they were warming up throwing around the ball I thought that she was one of the coaches LOL! She doesn't tower over everyone as much as she did it looked as if she hasn't grown another inch since she was 9. It will be interesting to see how long they will be able to maintain their dominance over their peers.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
5'11" at 9 years old!? Wow.

Yea the first time we played them when they were warming up throwing around the ball I thought that she was one of the coaches LOL! She doesn't tower over everyone as much as she did it looked as if she hasn't grown another inch since she was 9. It will be interesting to see how long they will be able to maintain their dominance over their peers.

Jun 12, 2015
I bet they get tired of comments from other teams questioning her age. We've got one on our team who's very tall for 9, though not THAT tall. I'm sure the other teams we face make comments about her, though she's not really a rock star which takes the edge off (our #2 catcher, and outfielder mostly). And when you see her up close, her face looks 9. She's tall, but you can tell she's young when you really look at her. She can pitch over 50 mph her dad said, but she has zero control yet. She doesn't pitch at all on our team yet. But once she gets some control she could be pretty good I think, if they stick with pitching lessons.

Jun 7, 2013
This reminds me of a funny story when I was coaching my younger DD in 10U. My older DD was first year 14U and dressed in the same uniform as our 10U team. We were warming her up on the field for her game which was nearby. The HC of the other 10U team was besides himself thinking that he was going to have to face my 14 year old DD. He was quite relieved when my older DD left for her game. However, my younger DD kicked the other team's butt, anyway.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
For competitive TB-

Below average-under 42
average-42-45
Above average-45-48
Will dominate most teams-48+

I saw two pitchers in 10u above 50. These were the girls on the DS Hotshots mentioned above. They were both very good pitchers, not just flame throwers. They were accurate and the lefty at least had a great CU.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
2 of my 10u pitchers were throwing mid to upper 40's, with 1 other girl hitting 50-51 with an 11'' ball from 35'.....
When they had to move back 5' and were handed a 12'' ball for our fall ball season , every one of them dropped approx. 5mph
I gunned them all about 2 weeks ago....the fastest pitch I saw between the 3 of them was 47. (All are 11, coming into their 1st year of 12u)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD has played against one of these girls a couple of times in 10U and I got to see her again a couple of weeks ago. As a 9yo she was consistently hitting 52 on the ball coach and had a decent change up she is a very intimidating pitcher for young girls standing at 5'11" her dad is a very big man at 6'10". I did not get to see her pitch her 2nd year of 10U but according to numerous sources she was throwing 56 consistently. She is not currently throwing the ball well, I heard she is having hip problems and hasn't been pitching to often and was only hitting 47 on the gun as a 04 12U two weeks ago. As for the other girl I have never seen her pitch but one of my buddies DD plays on her team and he said she is also very intimidating girl, very big and a lefty. I hear it said fairly often that she is considered to be the best 04 pitcher in the country right now. They are currently on the same team Diamond Sports Hotshots Mixed Gold 04 out of the Houston area. There was a couple of months during their first year of 10U that they were on the same team before the lefty split and went play for Diamond Sports Hotshots Gold. Were she lead her team to win the USFA World Series in Panama City Beach, FL, The Triple Crown World Series in Oklahoma, and the PGF championship all in the same month.

That's bigger and faster than we ever saw last year, but we didn't play PGF. The biggest/fastest we faced was an girl that was about 5'-8", and throwing 52-53 (04 OCBB Lujan). She struck out our entire team with the exception of 2 girls who put the ball in play. I'm proud to say that my DD was the only one who got a base hit (hard grounder up the 3B line). That AB boosted her confidence tremendously, and removed all her fear of fast pitchers.

A friend's DD (05 player) was also on that team as their #2 pitcher. She's currently throwing low-50's and dominating in 10U. She's a bit tall for a 10yo (5'-4"-ish), but not not dramatically tall like most of the super-fast girls. She still has a lot of growing to do, is gifted with natural muscle mass, and is a tremendously hard worker. Her dad is DFP'er SyndreSoftball, who pops in on occasion. I'm very curious to see how she reacts next year to the larger ball and distance.

Dec 27, 2014
2 of my 10u pitchers were throwing mid to upper 40's, with 1 other girl hitting 50-51 with an 11'' ball from 35'.....
When they had to move back 5' and were handed a 12'' ball for our fall ball season , every one of them dropped approx. 5mph
I gunned them all about 2 weeks ago....the fastest pitch I saw between the 3 of them was 47. (All are 11, coming into their 1st year of 12u)
Same for 2005 dd. Her 2004 team played 12u fall ball this year so we started practicing with the 12" at 40'. Took her a while before she even wanted to be gunned. Psychologically, it was tough for a kid that just turned ten to lose that 5mph.

I keep trying to tell her cruising mid 40's+ is really good, but she won't rest until she gets back to 50. She has made really good progress on a changeup this fall, since she never threw one in her one spring season at 10u, and I tell her that is more important. But, 50 drives her and she is really working on her legs and other things in December while she takes a month off from throwing full motion.

Speaking of speed recording, my Bushnell runs a couple/three mph slower than the revfire and pocket radar. Both of which run about the same. That jive with everyone's experience?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet