Youth Catcher's Equipment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2009
Central Illinois
Looking at buying the Mizuno Youth Samurai catcher's equipment for our 10U team. They have a youth set or a women's set. Women's set is slightly larger, but the youth chest protector has the flap that goes between the legs. Don't recall seeing girls have that. The women's size is also listed as a 14.5-15.5 range. Not sure why it is a range. Which would other 10U coaches buy?

Also, they have youth and women's shin guards. The pictures look the same. Anyone know if there is an actual difference other than size?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Catching Packages

Coach - the correct size is critical, you don't want them running around tripping on shin guards that flop, chest protectors that droop, or helmets that spin on their heads! There absolutely are chest protectors made exclusively for girls (starter helmets and shins usually are unisex), so you shouldn't need to settle for a chest protector w/ a boys crotch pad!

IMO, the complete shin/chest/mask packages are the way to go when the team is providing the catching gear. Once a girl gets more serious and decides that she wants to be a catcher (rather than a girl that catches sometimes), the first thing she'll usually do is to get her own set of gear. Below is a link to the softballsales website page for an All Star brand package that my DD started with and used through U12. I don't know if they make a smaller set too. If Mizuno is your preference, I know they have youth-sized gear, just don't know if they sell it in starter sets.

Regardless, I suggest you contact your preferred supplier and ask specifically about youth sizes. The quality of the name brand starter sets (e.g., Mizuno, Easton, All Star) is comparable, so cost rules based on my experience.

All Star Player's Series 9-12 Catcher's Set | Softball.com

Good luck - GM

May 31, 2009
Looking at buying the Mizuno Youth Samurai catcher's equipment for our 10U team. They have a youth set or a women's set. Women's set is slightly larger, but the youth chest protector has the flap that goes between the legs. Don't recall seeing girls have that. The women's size is also listed as a 14.5-15.5 range. Not sure why it is a range. Which would other 10U coaches buy?

Also, they have youth and women's shin guards. The pictures look the same. Anyone know if there is an actual difference other than size?

If you're looking for an equipment bag to carry you stuff, you might want to try the wheeled bag on this website. Beebe Sports Inc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1