Your Favorite Tee Drill

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2011
Hey, fellow coaches. I've been asked by several of the coaches in our rec league to put this question to the group:

What is your favorite tee drill and why?

Personally right now I really like what's often referred to here as the face the fire drill with the reverse top hand grip. I love the extention through the ball and weight shift it emphasizes.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Sue

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
High Tee (ball up at the top of the strike zone) is basic but should be done every session IMO. Many if not most hitters tend to drop their hands which causes them to miss or hit the bottom half of the ball into a pop up.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
I like to use a fun drill at the end with the T.
Place a volleyball on a T in front of the rubber
Put a T on home plate and have the girls try to hit the volleyball with the softball!

Oct 19, 2009
I can’t say one is my favorite, I like the drill TNSoftballMom described a lot. Another one I like is placing the ball on the tee at different pitch locations. Inside, middle and outside then move the ball low, high and middle to all 9 hitting zones. Hitting 3 to 5 balls at each zone, this helps the hitter to work on eliminating any holes or weak spots in her swing. I like hitting into an open field and looking for balls talling off, to give the hitter feedback when she is not staying on the ball.

We place the narrow seams or railroad tracks of the ball facing up and down on the tee toward the back stop and aim for the center of the inside seam, this gives the hitter the feeling of keeping the hands inside the ball.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2011
West Barstow, Ca
I agree with PEPPERS. I like to use the T to focus on where to hit specific pitches and to work on eliminating holes in the swing. For example , letting an outside pitch get deep, and driving it to right field. I really like the high T also. I plan on incorporating the face the fire drill.

May 17, 2011
I'm curious if many of you have the girls focus on an imaginary pitcher and then "grab the ball" with their eyes as they stride. We do that - probably because I did that in college - but I rarely see anybody doing that.

Also, has anybody used this particular tee - ProXTee 300 (Tee Only) It's the ProXTee and it looks like it would really be good for a lot of drills.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I have not used that Tee but it sounds interesting. Yes your brought up a good point. Always have them look at the imaginary pitcher. Many do tee work and look down at the ball . Howard uses a flashing red light, I have a picture of a pitcher in the back behind the net. Good point TNSoftballMOM

Oct 19, 2009
I'm curious if many of you have the girls focus on an imaginary pitcher and then "grab the ball" with their eyes as they stride. We do that - probably because I did that in college - but I rarely see anybody doing that.

Also, has anybody used this particular tee - ProXTee 300 (Tee Only) It's the ProXTee and it looks like it would really be good for a lot of drills.

We always practice tracking the ball, I’ll get behind a net go through a pitching motion and even throw a ball into the net and have the hitter standing behind the net and track the ball. I use a light-flight ball, or a waffle ball when we do this drill, for pitching into the net.

I’ve never seen one of those tees, I can’t really say much about it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd