Youngest daughter and pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
Today starts the 1st day of practice with her team(league). DD just turned 7. She started practicing pitching earlier this year, is getting pretty good. What is the best way to work with a young catcher? This will be the first year our league teams use live pitching in U8. DD has never thrown to a catcher. I'm worried she will try and slow down.

Nov 29, 2009
Today starts the 1st day of practice with her team(league). DD just turned 7. She started practicing pitching earlier this year, is getting pretty good. What is the best way to work with a young catcher? This will be the first year our league teams use live pitching in U8. DD has never thrown to a catcher. I'm worried she will try and slow down.

Work the catcher alone first. Make sure she has the confidence in herself to handle anything that is thrown at her. The hardest thing with the young kids is to make sure they trust their gear and wont get hurt. Once that happens then let the pitcher pitch to them.

It's best if you catch for your daughter when doing drills and working on things. Once she's reached that point then bring the catcher in to catch for her. Otherwise it's frustrating for the both of them.

Jul 26, 2010
First you need to identify the girls who can play catcher.

I find the best way to do this is at tryouts. Instead of using stickers with their tryout number on them, use a staple gun to fasten the number to the players. The girls that don't scream and run to the parking lot at the sign of the staple gun are your infielders, the girl that smiles as you staple the number to her back is special, she's your catcher.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Also, have her practice with hitters in the batters box. If she doesn't have a mom or little brother that can be bribed, trash cans will do. Put one in the right batters box and then, the left.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA