Young 10U pitcher, Comments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 20, 2009
MY DD is a young 10U pitcher. This is her 1st year of pitching and she has another season of 10U elgibility left in 2011. I am posting some video of her pitching in a tournament this past weekend that my wife took, so it is a little shaky. Just wanted some feedback from the forum on her form/mechanics and what I can do to help her improve.

Mar 13, 2010
Her arm circle is nice. It seems to have a slight crook as she's coming round the end though. She needs to get her hips turned more. She's not really turning them at the moment.

Jan 27, 2010
Your DD is doing very well for a 10U. She is a work in progress like most 10Us and has some timing issues.(i.e.) 1st pitch her weight is a little forward at release, but the 2nd she releases with good left side resistance. I don't see a problem with the hips turning Lozza mentions in her post. Maybe she will explain at what point she is referring to the hips turning. Your DD will continue to get better with the instruction she is receiving from her PC.Tell her to keep up the good work.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She isn't doing that good. If you look at her at release, you can see that her upper body is completely closed, her weight is over her front foot, and she is bent over at release. In this video, her body behaves as if she were throwing overhand. So, in fact, she is doing nothing other than moving her arm in the opposite direction. Her body is really messed up.

She really doesn't know anything about pitching. So, you need to get some DVDs on basic pitching. She needs to be working on getting open and delivering the ball.

It would be best if you can get her to a pitching coach. If not, then you should try to get Denny Throneberg's DVD called "Framing the Pitch". That would be a good starting point for her.

Attachments

• 10u03..jpg
    10u03..jpg
    3 KB · Views: 21
  • 10u02..jpg
    10u02..jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 10u01..jpg
    10u01..jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
Sluggers, I agree with mostly everything you say about her mechanical problems, but she is 10U and most likely very young at pitching. I assume she is just getting started in her pitching career and is a work in progress as I stated. She is not as bad as you say. Sure, she is not a polished pitcher but maybe Ravenstown will let us know how long she has been pitching. If she has been pitching for quite some time then I will agree with you wholeheartedly.I don't know many 10U that have exceptional mechanics without years of instruction. I believe you would agree that if you were able to work with this young lady that you could work out most of her flaws in fairly short order.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
She isn't doing that good. If you look at her at release, you can see that her upper body is completely closed, her weight is over her front foot, and she is bent over at release. In this video, her body behaves as if she were throwing overhand. So, in fact, she is doing nothing other than moving her arm in the opposite direction. Her body is really messed up.

She really doesn't know anything about pitching. So, you need to get some DVDs on basic pitching. She needs to be working on getting open and delivering the ball.

It would be best if you can get her to a pitching coach. If not, then you should try to get Denny Throneberg's DVD called "Framing the Pitch". That would be a good starting point for her.

"DEAD BALL. ILLEGAL PITCH!" OOPS! Sorry, wrong thread. ;)

Oct 20, 2009
Wow, Sluggers assessment was quite harsh. She turned 10 in late February and she just started pitching in October 2009. So she has been pitching for roughly 8 months. I don't mind the constructive critisism, that is why I don't mind posting video so that I can get feedback. However, I do think it would be more productive if someone would post video of what a 10 year old with perfect pitching mechanics looks like. Better yet, just post some video of any pitcher will perfect mechanics. From what I have read on here, there are a lot of different opinions on what is correct and what is incorrect. I do think she is on the right track. She has worked hard and will continue to work hard to get better.

Sluggers, could you please post that video of the perfect 10 year old pitcher when you get a chance.

May 7, 2008
Go to the first post and see Sluggers post of a Jennie Finch video. That is a good place to start. Yes, I agree that the motion needs work, but at 10 years old she couldn't be pitching that long. Also, at that age, many girls are not coordinated enough and their muscles mature enough to do some of the appropriate things we would like to see. It just takes time. Don't be discouraged, keep working on it and you will see improvement if she is trained by an informed and good teaching coach. You can not do this on your own.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sluggers, could you please post that video of the perfect 10 year old pitcher when you get a chance

If you insist:

You can see, pretty clearly, that your DD is *NOT* on the right track.

Raven..I'm not saying take the kid out and shoot her (although I did suggest taking the young lady above out and shoot her...but that is another thread).

Your DD is using the basic, run-of-the-mill, messed up pitching motion of beginning pitchers. I'm sure if your DD works hard and gets some good instruction, she'll do well. She does have a little arm whip going.

Honestly, I don't know where to start with fixing her. You and her need to learn all the drills and start using them, which is why you should either find a PC or go to Denny's video. Denny's video is an *excellent* starting point.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs