You be the coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
I love our 10u All-Star coach and I'm very thankful that he agreed to take on the job, because he's got such a brilliant mind and knows how to teach the game better than anyone in our town. I'm throwing him under the bus here, but will not confront him directly about it, because in-season, I will not talk to the coach as a parent about another player. If I were coaching with him, I'd ask the question, but not as a parent. After the summer, however, I might.

We've got a 14-player roster. 2 girls are incredible, and a 3rd is right behind them in terms of talent, though doesn't have quite as much power at the plate and isn't a pitcher. So, we've got 3 players that are clearly our 'best' and then there are 7-8 more without much difference between them overall.

The team played well on Saturday, so the girls had a pretty easy 1st-round game in the single elimination bracket on Sunday. Next up was a team that had beaten us 7-0 on Saturday on only 3 hits. In Saturday's contest, everyone who walked scored, while they played mistake-free defense. Parents and players could really see the difference between a full-time team and rec in that game.

Here's the Sunday scenario: 4th inning, trailing 4-0, on defense, and still very much in this game, there's a dropped 3rd strike, a poor throw from the catcher skips past 1B into RF...then past the right-fielder who's standing there, not really into the game. She didn't even see the ball roll by her and only reacted when parents started yelling at her to get the ball. Thankfully the outfield grass was so thick, otherwise runner would've gone all the way to 3B.

The player in RF was 1-for-11, no walks, 9 strikeouts at that point, and really only 2 decent, competitive (non-lazy) at-bats.

It is my opinion that the player should have been benched immediately and one of the other dads commented that he'd lost some respect for Coach when he failed to do so. When you're struggling to create team/team parent cohesiveness, it's tough to make all the right moves, but this one seemed like a no-brainer with all the sub options we had available.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
I love our 10u All-Star coach and I'm very thankful that he agreed to take on the job, because he's got such a brilliant mind and knows how to teach the game better than anyone in our town. I'm throwing him under the bus here, but will not confront him directly about it, because in-season, I will not talk to the coach as a parent about another player. If I were coaching with him, I'd ask the question, but not as a parent. After the summer, however, I might.

We've got a 14-player roster. 2 girls are incredible, and a 3rd is right behind them in terms of talent, though doesn't have quite as much power at the plate and isn't a pitcher. So, we've got 3 players that are clearly our 'best' and then there are 7-8 more without much difference between them overall.

The team played well on Saturday, so the girls had a pretty easy 1st-round game in the single elimination bracket on Sunday. Next up was a team that had beaten us 7-0 on Saturday on only 3 hits. In Saturday's contest, everyone who walked scored, while they played mistake-free defense. Parents and players could really see the difference between a full-time team and rec in that game.

Here's the Sunday scenario: 4th inning, trailing 4-0, on defense, and still very much in this game, there's a dropped 3rd strike, a poor throw from the catcher skips past 1B into RF...then past the right-fielder who's standing there, not really into the game. She didn't even see the ball roll by her and only reacted when parents started yelling at her to get the ball. Thankfully the outfield grass was so thick, otherwise runner would've gone all the way to 3B.

The player in RF was 1-for-11, no walks, 9 strikeouts at that point, and really only 2 decent, competitive (non-lazy) at-bats.

It is my opinion that the player should have been benched immediately and one of the other dads commented that he'd lost some respect for Coach when he failed to do so. When you're struggling to create team/team parent cohesiveness, it's tough to make all the right moves, but this one seemed like a no-brainer with all the sub options we had available.

For sure a good teaching moment was missed but I would have benched her after they came in, with an explanation of why she was being benched.

Mar 13, 2010
What softballphreak said.

There is nothing to be gained by immeaditly benching a 10/11 year old than to make the entire stands think you're a scumbag.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Team cohesion yes. Team/parent cohesiveness, of no use. Parents really need to stay on the outside of the fence. Did the team win? Was this the game changer? This is Rec ball I assume, and while winning is wonderful, it is nowhere near the most important thing in life. Your RF obviously had shown something in the season to be chosen for the All star team. You were correct in saying there IS a great difference between full time and rec teams. If this was your TB team and the coach did this, one could understand your taking your daughter to another team. I've helped coach both rec and travel, there is a chasm between the two where we live and you should understand the two.

Personally, I see no reason for you to even think about approaching the coach. Just remember when standing behind someone to throw them under the bus, you become the head of the line who has just taught the person behind YOU, how you believe the game is played.

Feb 3, 2011
It's a rec league all-star team, but they were playing in an A/B and C ASA tournament. They'll play one more ASA tune-up, and then the big tourney with all the regional rec all-star teams will be after that.

No, our team did not win, and while I would not go so far as to say that one play had an effect on the outcome of the game aside from the final margin, it was somewhat deflating.

I posted as a parent here, but the reason I'd ask Coach about his rationale is that there's a possibility I'll be coaching the 10u all-star team in 2 years. Once the summer season is over, I would be asking as a coach, not as a parent.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
No, I would not pull a little girl in the middle of an inning. That is almost unheard of in softball.

Instead, offer to coach the OF. She probably had no idea that she had anything to do, than stand there. Teach the OF to move on every play, even if they just take a step in, to see if they need to go anywhere.

Mar 13, 2010
Momo, I have never seen anyone pulled in the middle of an innings (outside of a pitcher) EVER. In 25 years of softball.

If I saw a little girl pulled after a mistake I'd be thinking extremely low thoughts of him and would have little to do with him.

Amy gives the best advice, teach her what she needs to do.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
As you noted, on any rec all-star team, there are really only a handful of good players, and the rest fill in the gaps to give you enough to play. My rule of thumb is on a roster of 12 players, the bottom 6 or 7 are interchangeable. Who is say that the exact same outcome would not have occurred with any one of the other subs in RF? Did any of the other bench players truly hit or field any better than her? Sounds like you are looking at this one instance as a way to criticize the coach for not propoerly placing "blame" on a 10 year old. In my mind, the catcher made 2 mistakes (dropped third and a poor throw), why not bench her? Even if the girl had backed up properly, and held her at first, would the runner have made it to second and/or third on subsequent wild pitches/passed balls/steals? Some mental errors are real game changers in 10U, but this one sounds like it was truly inconsequential when you look at the big picture. The coach did the right thing by not pulling her out immediately. You are looking for reasons that you lost the game because of poor coaching, but the reality is your team was outplayed by better softball players, and no amount of "mistake-free" coaching during the 2 weeks you have during allstars is going to magically transform your girls into world beaters.

Feb 3, 2011
I know it's a hot summer day, but if a kid is asleep in the field, how is she benefiting from that?

They've only been together a short time, but like most rec leagues, our A-S team is comprised of girls who were starting infielders on their respective teams. During spring season, ALL of my players saw time in the outfield, though, because 1) I wanted them to learn and practice backup responsibilities and 2) to let the kids and parents know that outfield is for everyone, not just the less experienced or weaker players.

So, for players who've always played SS or 3B, there is a bit of a learning curve to playing the outfield. But if you saw the way the A-S team is drilled and coached in practice, you'd have few doubts about what they've been taught or what the players generally understand.

I'll come right out and say that this was a matter of focus and hustle. And while you may argue that it would be wrong to show up an 11yo by benching her, what about the message being sent to 13 other young players?

Feb 3, 2011
As you noted, on any rec all-star team, there are really only a handful of good players, and the rest fill in the gaps to give you enough to play. My rule of thumb is on a roster of 12 players, the bottom 6 or 7 are interchangeable. Who is say that the exact same outcome would not have occurred with any one of the other subs in RF? Did any of the other bench players truly hit or field any better than her? Sounds like you are looking at this one instance as a way to criticize the coach for not propoerly placing "blame" on a 10 year old. In my mind, the catcher made 2 mistakes (dropped third and a poor throw), why not bench her? Even if the girl had backed up properly, and held her at first, would the runner have made it to second and/or third on subsequent wild pitches/passed balls/steals? Some mental errors are real game changers in 10U, but this one sounds like it was truly inconsequential when you look at the big picture. The coach did the right thing by not pulling her out immediately. You are looking for reasons that you lost the game because of poor coaching, but the reality is your team was outplayed by better softball players, and no amount of "mistake-free" coaching during the 2 weeks you have during allstars is going to magically transform your girls into world beaters.
This team was clearly better than us, no doubt about it. They're a 2nd-year 10u team with 3 really good pitchers. We faced their #1 and #2 over the weekend and hit the ball hard, but didn't manage any runs. In yesterday's game vs their #2, both teams only had 2 hits, but walks and dropped 3rd strikes got them to 9 runs by the time it was over. Their pitcher wasn't overpowering, but didn't walk a single batter, and their defense only bobbled the ball once. They're smart, very aggressive baserunners who know how to pressure opposing defenses.

So, you're not correct in saying that I'm looking for reasons why we lost. We lost because we're not in the same league as them.

Our team has 2 really good pitchers who are very effective when they're on. Together they only gave up 2 long hits in 5 games over the weekend. But, we have no catcher. In fact, our league has no catcher-in-waiting for next year or for 2013, either, so this is something I intend to address starting this fall.

It wasn't a mistake or a mental error. It was being checked out of the game and to me, the reasons for that don't matter. Yes, it's disappointing to see them steal home on your team 3 times, but down only 4-0, you're still very much in this game. Play like it! Even if it was 20-0, you should still play like you want to win. I have an admitted bias against lazy players, but I don't think that's a bad coaching trait. I admit it's tough to turn off the 'coach' inside me when I'm just a fan at the game, so that is a me problem that I'll try to work on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog