yesterday's games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
First call - batter already has one warning for throwing her bat. Batter hits a single up the middle, 2 runners come in to score. BR reaches first, ump calls time, ejects BR and allows both runs to score. Correct?
Second call - D3K, ball lodges in backstop. BR goes to first, ump calls dead ball, batter out. Correct?

Oct 11, 2018
First call seems correct. Unless the thrown bat actually interfered with play, it would be correct to eject after play ended. If thrown bat interfered it would be an immediate dead ball, batter out, then eject.

Second call. that is just stupid. what did the batter have to do with the ball getting stuck in fence? why is she out. That is called a blocked ball. A pitched ball that becomes blocked is a 1 base award on dropped 3rd. [I guess i should ask what level you were playing. Was this 8U/10U rec ball where you are not allowed to advance on D3K?]

May 29, 2015
Unless the bat interferes with the play, I guess the umpire gets to determine what happens. Throwing the bat is a house rule, so there isn’t anything in the book about how to handle the play. (I am not a fan of house rules like this for that specific reason ... local leagues tend to write rules without understanding them and including a full penalty.)

As for the second part ... as @jackfrost said, it is a blocked ball. Nope, thank you @umpwally! The defense is penalized. Same concept as if the ball had rolled into dugout. Why should the defense be rewarded?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018
Thank you. Agreed on first call. 12U rec on the second and ump wasn't really sure.
OK, if ump isn't really sure, you as the coach should be. Lot of umpires do games in multiple leagues and every rec league has their own set of rule modification; some pretty crazy modifications. You should know the rules and local modifications AND have a copy of them with you at every game. If umpire says he's not sure what local league rule is, you tell him what it is and say you can pull out the rule modifications if that will help.

Couple of things:
1. don't every pull out the rules without "offering" first. Some umps just freak out at the sight of a rule book and think they will melt or have to eject you. (I actually think that USSSA rule book calls for an ejection for some dumb reason. Let's just get it right!)
2. I have never heard of a 12U level that does not allow D3K. (Most 8U and some 10U don't play with D3K, but I don't think I have ever encountered 12U that does not allow D3K.)

Reactions: NEF
Jan 7, 2012
Speaking ASA a blocked ball is a ball that gets touched or handled by someone not engaged in the game or hitting loose equipment that shouldn’t be on the field (buckets, warm up bats etc) Getting lodged in the fence is not a blocked ball. Resolving the possibility of a ball getting lodged in the fence or striking an immovable object that’s not part of the official playing area should be discussed at your plate meeting.
Throwing the bat is an unsportsmanlike/safety issue that should be addressed immediately. It is up to the individual umpire to mete out the appropriate punishment for doing so. Anywhere from a warning to an ejection. I can tell you that if multiple warnings are given to the same player for throwing the bat and he/she is allowed to continue playing and someone eventually gets hurt by that person throwing a bat you have put yourself in a poor position liability wise

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018
A blocked ball is a ball that gets touched or handled by someone not engaged in the game or hitting loose equipment that shouldn’t be on the field (buckets, warm up bats etc) Getting lodged in the fence is not a blocked ball. Resolving the possibility of a ball getting lodged in the fence or striking an immovable object that’s not part of the official playing area should be discussed your plate meeting.

yes, you are right. sorry about that. On our fields the ball can get wedged between the padding and the backstop. We consider it to have left the field which has the same award as a blocked ball. but it not a blocked ball.

May 29, 2015
Speaking ASA a blocked ball is a ball that gets touched or handled by someone not engaged in the game or hitting loose equipment that shouldn’t be on the field (buckets, warm up bats etc) Getting lodged in the fence is not a blocked ball.

The same for USSSA and NFHS.

NCAA does consider it a blocked ball by definition.

Good catch!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez