Wrists? Bat drag? Understanding a high end swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2015
Yes, you were spewing ... and continue to document your spewing ways.

I have less time to engage your pollution of threads today.

Good luck making posts in which you feel your always make a positive contribution. That's quite a fantasy world you live in.
As stated before, thanks for cooperating with the documentation of your narcissism. You have a view on this that differs than mine. I respect that. People can read, or not, for themselves and form a decision about it. That's the beauty of a discussion board. Enjoy your day!

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Okay, that got me to smile.

If the deltoid drill helps you work the mechanics of the hands with your hitters then that's all that matters.

I have some questions for you. Many of my drills do not include purposeful wrist cock/wrist extension, how do you approach this?

when and where do you apply this?as you know i believe this can be held and increase until release/ torque/ fire.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I have some questions for you. Many of my drills do not include purposeful wrist cock/wrist extension, how do you approach this?

when and where do you apply this?as you know i believe this can be held and increase until release/ torque/ fire.

Mann, to clarify, I'm assuming your discussion of wrist cock is just before the hitter arrives at swing launch. I generally do not tell a hitter to cock their hands. I want the hands/wrists fairly relaxed up to swing launch ... and I like to see a handset with the knob pointing back roughly to the catcher's feet with the barrel loaded ... I want this cocking you speak of to occur at the very end of what you may refer to as a loading phase in preparation to launch the swing ... and even as late as at the beginning of swing launch. Rarely will I have to directly instruct the cocking of the hands ... as I believe you mean the cocking of the hands.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2015
Mann, to clarify, I'm assuming your discussion of wrist cock is just before the hitter arrives at swing launch. I generally do not tell a hitter to cock their hands. I want the hands/wrists fairly relaxed up to swing launch ... and I like to see a handset with the knob pointing back roughly to the catcher's feet with the barrel loaded ... I want this cocking you speak of to occur at the very end of what you may refer to as a loading phase in preparation to launch the swing ... and even as late as at the beginning of swing launch. Rarely will I have to directly instruct the cocking of the hands ... as I believe you mean the cocking of the hands.

I like what I read here. IMO this is a nice proper set-up with essential parts of setting up a good foundation to transition into the swing or attacking of the pitch, and I'm not ruling out the importance of creating torque with the lower body. Unfortunately, it is here that many kids perform the dbsf move. They drop the bat and swing flat. Is it safe to say when kids do the dbsf they are putting themselves in a bat drag situation?

What's the trick or proper moves to transition out of the bat knob pointing to the catcher, without having bat drag enter the equation?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Is it safe to say when kids do the dbsf they are putting themselves in a bat drag situation?

I do not recall an example of DBSF that did not include bat drag issues, too.

What's the trick or proper moves to transition out of the bat knob pointing to the catcher, without having bat drag enter the equation?

Hand pivot point.
MigCage_zps9quclusr.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I like what I read here. IMO this is a nice proper set-up with essential parts of setting up a good foundation to transition into the swing or attacking of the pitch, and I'm not ruling out the importance of creating torque with the lower body. Unfortunately, it is here that many kids perform the dbsf move. They drop the bat and swing flat. Is it safe to say when kids do the dbsf they are putting themselves in a bat drag situation?

I'm not 100% sure of what your version of dbsf is. Bat flattening, to a degree, can be fine. The actual lowering of the hands, while "reading the pitch", as a means of "leveling to the ball", is "in a sense" the 'dragging of the barrel'. It is not technically 'dragging', more it is the absence of 'working the barrel'. It is this absence of 'working the barrel' that has many young hitters passing through an orientation that many generally use as an indicator for 'bat drag' ... which is more often than not an indicator that the barrel was not properly worked.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Originally Posted by Lickety Split
Is it safe to say when kids do the dbsf they are putting themselves in a bat drag situation?

Bat Drag=Appying 'force' down the length of the bat.
The 'force' mut be applied perp to the handle.
MannyOutFrom.gif

Trick= Learn to use the hands correctly.

Jan 14, 2015
I'm not 100% sure of what your version of dbsf is. Bat flattening, to a degree, can be fine. The actual lowering of the hands, while "reading the pitch", as a means of "leveling to the ball", is "in a sense" the 'dragging of the barrel'. It is not technically 'dragging', more it is the absence of 'working the barrel'. It is this absence of 'working the barrel' that has many young hitters passing through an orientation that many generally use as an indicator for 'bat drag' ... which is more often than not an indicator that the barrel was not properly worked.

Yes, this part. I think when my daughter does this it's because she is still reading the pitch and fears she won't be able to "check" her swing if she needs to.

I try to tell my daughter to have barrel awareness and to focus on squaring the barrel head up to the pitch. I'm learning now that I should discuss hand action and hand pivot with her more.

Thanks.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes, this part. I think when my daughter does this it's because she is still reading the pitch and fears she won't be able to "check" her swing if she needs to.

I try to tell my daughter to have barrel awareness and to focus on squaring the barrel head up to the pitch. I'm learning now that I should discuss hand action and hand pivot with her more.

Thanks.

I believe I understand what you mean.

Just to clarify ... this person here has "barrel awareness", yet their mental image is to Level-And-Swing ('level' meaning to orientate the bat such that it will be on plane with the ball). In a sense, they "find the ball" and then "swing" ... as opposed to "finding the ball as you swing".

Bat_Drag_Example.gif

This is different than having a sense of barrel awareness with a Level-As-You-Swing approach.

Notice the difference in the barrel arc between the above swing and the swing below. Someone watching the movement of the barrel tip should be able to detect what many refer to as 'bat drag' well before what is generally being used as an indicator for 'bat drag'.

2s6vv2b.gif

Jan 14, 2015
I believe I understand what you mean.

Just to clarify ... this person here has "barrel awareness", yet their mental image is to Level-And-Swing ('level' meaning to orientate the bat such that it will be on plane with the ball). In a sense, they "find the ball" and then "swing" ... as opposed to "finding the ball as you swing".

Bat_Drag_Example.gif

This is different than having a sense of barrel awareness with a Level-As-You-Swing approach.

Notice the difference in the barrel arc between the above swing and the swing below. Someone watching the movement of the barrel tip should be able to detect what many refer to as 'bat drag' well before what is generally being used as an indicator for 'bat drag'.

2s6vv2b.gif

Unfortunately your first video did not come through on my system but your explanation seems to clearly differentiate what is good and what is not so good.

Thx.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole