Would you convert a rotational-styled pitcher to a linear style?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
Tried a new PC yesterday and she'd like to completely change DD's style. DD just turned 9 and has been pitching about a year-and-a-half. She first began with a 'hello elbow' instructor, but although she had success in 8u with it, all the reading I was doing here and other places led me to believe she should modify her technique. I got her the Hillhouse video and that became DD's preferred method. She's been pitching that way for just about a year now and is her team's #1.

DD is ok with starting from scratch and I am open to new things, but I'm wondering whether a couple of PC's philosophies might be limiting in the long run. She's a believer in wrist snaps, hello elbow, and that a girl's power comes only from her legs vs boys who rely on upper-body power when pitching, which are all things she abandoned when she left her first instructor.

I'm being careful not to overreact, but my instincts are telling me this conversion may not be beneficial for DD.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
ANyone who tells you that boys rely on their upper body power only when pitching and girls rely only on lower body power for pitching. Doesn't know a thing about pitching, baseball or softball.

Aug 19, 2011
I don't trust any teacher who right away wants to tear everything down and start over. Based on what? I think some teachers do that to create dependency, and some of the wrist-snapping PCs around here are particularly virulent examples of the type. The best teachers teach students to teach themselves, and give them self-teaching tools IMMEDIATELY.

Oct 22, 2009
Do the local PC's you are talking about actually pitch? And do they pitch linear or rotational?
My guess is they pitch rotational but teach linear because that is how they learned.
I also bet they cannot recognize that your DD is pitching rotational unless she is in a drill or they focus on her follow through.

I have had several students come to me from linear instructions. The first thing I do is ask to see their drills--linear drills---then I ask them to pitch, then I film them pitching and show how they are not releasing linear, other than the bringing their follow through back up to their shoulder. They are always pitching with internal rotation. They always freak out when I show them this and cannot figure out why their old PC never told them they were "doing it wrong."
So I explain they are not doing it wrong, and all they need to change is to just let themselves relax out their follow through and not worry about pulling it back up to their shoulders. (usually doesn't happen, old habits die hard).

So if you "change" your DD's drills to rotational and make her hello elbow, when she's throwing full out I doubt very seriously she is going to throw this way, she is going to internally rotate I guarantee you.

Aug 19, 2011
Could I get the definition of rotational and linear pitching?

I'm not the OP, but I've gone through the same thing so I think I know what he means by the terms, although there is both lateral and rotational motion in a pitch. Some PCs teach to get the hand behind the ball as early as possible in the downswing and intentionally snap the wrist at release. This keeping of the palm in line behind the ball is what I think is meant by "linear." It promotes a locked elbow, in my experience. What Bill Hillhouse teaches is a more natural turnover of the arm with the elbow leading into release, what is commonly referred to on this board as "internal rotation."

Nov 29, 2009
I'm not the OP, but I've gone through the same thing so I think I know what he means by the terms,

I'm glad you understand it. I thought I stumbled into the middle of a hitting style thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission