Would you call this illegal pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
For the umpires out there, would you call this an illegal pitch?

High School Varsity game.

F4520648-9BD0-4912-978B-60FF3FAD63E2.jpeg

Jul 19, 2021
For the umpires out there, would you call this an illegal pitch?

High School Varsity game.

View attachment 25860
It is an illegal pitch but that is one (the wrist cannot be further from the body than the elbow) that is NEVER called and I've seen pitchers that almost look like a 2nd baseman turning 2 when they throw and it doesn't get called.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
It is an illegal pitch but that is one (the wrist cannot be further from the body than the elbow) that is NEVER called and I've seen pitchers that almost look like a 2nd baseman turning 2 when they throw and it doesn't get called.
I agree by the rule it is am illegal pitch. (Almost) never called. And I am just wondering how you physically throw a screwball without having the wrist further from the body than the elbow.

EDIT:

Oh, btw, that wrist is WAY outside in that pick and could be one of the exceptions where IP would be called for wrist outside elbow.

May 29, 2015
I can't tell what I am looking at. I cannot tell if the ball is still in her hand or not.

I don't know how these parents do it through the fence.

May 27, 2022
I can't tell what I am looking at. I cannot tell if the ball is still in her hand or not.

I don't know how these parents do it through the fence.

This is a high school pitcher for a softball team during the day with bright sunshine. The ball is still in the pitcher's hand - just before release.

My point: IMO, the wrist is (well) outside the elbow and this should have been called an illegal pitch. This was just one example - sometimes it was closer and other times it was farther away from her leg. At times, it was almost a sidearm throw with a hard wrist flip. If I were the umpire, I would have called everyone of her pitches illegal.

My apologies for the quality. It was a picture from the press box zoomed in through 2 fences that I tried to capture discretely. In all reality, it is easier to see in person than what this picture shows. In the future, I'll walk up to the fence in front of the parents/fans and make sure it is obvious to all that I am filming the you lady out there so I get a crystal clear picture for your professional opinion.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is a high school pitcher for a softball team during the day with bright sunshine. The ball is still in the pitcher's hand - just before release.

My point: IMO, the wrist is (well) outside the elbow and this should have been called an illegal pitch. This was just one example - sometimes it was closer and other times it was farther away from her leg. At times, it was almost a sidearm throw with a hard wrist flip. If I were the umpire, I would have called everyone of her pitches illegal.

My apologies for the quality. It was a picture from the press box zoomed in through 2 fences that I tried to capture discretely. In all reality, it is easier to see in person than what this picture shows. In the future, I'll walk up to the fence in front of the parents/fans and make sure it is obvious to all that I am filming the you lady out there so I get a crystal clear picture for your professional opinion.
This pitcher must have been dominating your team for you to complain.

May 27, 2022
This pitcher must have been dominating your team for you to complain.

Actually no. It was a game that I had no vested interest in. Just really annoyed that I had to watch her the entire game while I did the announcing for it.

May 27, 2022
Why is the annoyance directed at her? It's not her fault it wasn't being called an illegal pitch.
I was annoyed that the umpire didn't call it.

For the pitcher - just disappointed for her. At some point, some umpire is going to call it. The longer it takes for her to realize she needs to fix it, the harder it will be to fix it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish