Would this be considered a flagrent 1 or 2?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 22, 2012
At last nights game, HS Varsity, DD was on defense with runner on 2nd. Batter pops up between 2nd and pitcher. SS runs into runner coming off of 2nd trying to make a play on the ball, classic runner interference. NO CALL IS MADE. Coach appeals to the plate ump and he explains it as "It is like in basketball when two players are going after the ball and make INCIDENTAL CONTACT". Parnets and coaches are bumfuzzeled. All you can do is laugh. Anyways, 5 minutes later we are still chattering between ourselves about the comparison between softball and basketball in a joking manner, plate ump stops play and ask 3rd base coach to quit discussing the call, or he is going to eject her. We were not even adressing the ump, just making light of a horrible call.

Jul 6, 2013
Obviously, the discussion of the call was done so in a manner that was loud enough (probably), to make sure the umpire could hear the chatter. In my experience, they will allow you to discuss thing amongst yourselves about certain calls/plays.....for a while.....but 5 minutes of continued discussion where he/she can hear is going to get you a warning...even if not "to" him. Basically, good call/bad call, they will endure a bit if abuse during a game. But once they tire of it, they tire of it.

Apr 22, 2012
Obviously, the discussion of the call was done so in a manner that was loud enough (probably), to make sure the umpire could hear the chatter. In my experience, they will allow you to discuss thing amongst yourselves about certain calls/plays.....for a while.....but 5 minutes of continued discussion where he/she can hear is going to get you a warning...even if not "to" him. Basically, good call/bad call, they will endure a bit if abuse during a game. But once they tire of it, they tire of it.

Fair enough, we were making light of a bad call and even worse comparison. Just thought it was funny.

Jun 22, 2008
You are aware only 1 defensive player is protected when fielding a batted ball? If the umpire judged another player had a better chance of fielding it the ss would not have been interfered with but would instead have been guilty of obstruction.

As for the conversation, it sounds like it was done intentionally so the umpire would hear. Doesn't matter if you were addressing the umpire or not. If it was being discussed loud enough for him to hear it obviously could be heard by others and it was an attempt to discredit the umpire.

Apr 22, 2012
You are aware only 1 defensive player is protected when fielding a batted ball? If the umpire judged another player had a better chance of fielding it the ss would not have been interfered with but would instead have been guilty of obstruction.

As for the conversation, it sounds like it was done intentionally so the umpire would hear. Doesn't matter if you were addressing the umpire or not. If it was being discussed loud enough for him to hear it obviously could be heard by others and it was an attempt to discredit the umpire.

There was no question it was SS ball to field. If they would have explained it to the coaches as someone else had a better chance at the ball, we may not have liked it but it would have been something that could have been backed by the rules. It was a bad call, and we were joking about the basketball reference to incidental contact. Honestly this call would not have changed the outcome of the game and we were being light hearted in our protest. Again, just thought it was funny.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think I need bleachers in my office. Whenever I make mistake, then people could point and laugh, and then talk about it for the next 30 minutes. I'm sure I wouldn't get upset...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild