The call if the umpire can't see it...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Add me to the "BU should have been moving with the foul ball" camp. I'll add the PU should be coming out to take a potential tag-up and play at second.

With no eyes on it, it never should have been called an out to start.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
No you can't call the out for what you didn't see. Mechanically, that would be what is called a 'trouble ball'. In this case it would belong to the P who just needs to get on his horse and get over to where he can see the play clearly. Sorry, guys, BU can keep an eye on it and offer help if asked, but that call belongs to P.

May 29, 2015
“By the book” the BU only shadows a foul fly if there is nobody on.

Maybe I am a bit of the Jerry West school ... mechanics be damned if somebody can make the call. It is far easier for the BU to “go out” on that ball and the PU step up to assume the runner than for PU to bust butt around the dugout while BU stands still.

Yes, that is something that would need to be pre-gamed unless the two worked together frequently and already had that situation down.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here is the actual field. Clearly, some high IQ people decided to put a chain link fence in the middle of foul territory for both dugouts.

The visiting team was at bat. So, the team was, of course, lined up against the fence. as well as an on-deck batter and a 1B coach. Red spot indicates where 1B trapped ball against fence.
plainfield-east.JPG

May 29, 2015
My guess would be a coach who was mad that the dugout was "too small" and we wouldn't let him set his bucket out on the field. :giggle:

It is a 2D overhead shot, but it feels like it shouldn't have been that big of an issue if the PU was on the move. His line of sight from his starting position isn't horrendous (problematic maybe).

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
Ten or twelve steps towards the middle of the infield and the plate umpire sees that play pretty clearly.

Unfortunately, towards the middle of the infield isn't where the P needs to be going. To see if any catch/no catch was assisted by the fence you need to get outside and look down the far fence for any contact there. This is one of those sitations that needs to be covered in a good solid pre-game.(not the same as a plate meeting for the non-umpires here). Unfortunately, way too many umpires show up 29 min before game time and are trying to get changed while getting a call from the spouse about what to pick up for dinner.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
if two umpires can't figure out how to see plays on the entire field there are worse issues at hand.
That said
reality is there are plenty of times when umpires can't actually see the play being made. like when the tag is being made on the other side of the body from the umpire viewpoint.
what I have noticed is
Some umpires will do their best to get a great angle on a play to make a call...
while other umpires seem to have
X-ray vision 👁 👁

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles