The call if the umpire can't see it...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
if two umpires can't figure out how to see plays on the entire field there are worse issues at hand.

IMO, totally uncalled for. Try moving the same play as in the pic over to the third base dugout. Who is going to have the call of whether or not the ball hit fence during the catch? As umpires, most of us work our ASSES off to make sure we get the best possible look at every play. Sometimes the layout of the field works against that, sometimes, the oddity of the play does that. Strange field layouts are a whole let less common that players that make the unexpected play and an issue with the field is something we know about before the game even starts and can plan for.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
IMO, totally uncalled for. Try moving the same play as in the pic over to the third base dugout. Who is going to have the call of whether or not the ball hit fence during the catch? As umpires, most of us work our ASSES off to make sure we get the best possible look at every play. Sometimes the layout of the field works against that, sometimes, the oddity of the play does that. Strange field layouts are a whole let less common that players that make the unexpected play and an issue with the field is something we know about before the game even starts and can plan for.
It is unfortunet your (ed) responses are often keyed toward defending umpires instead of thinking through possible other perspectives in others posts

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
(Its cruddy that, @Ed,
Since you obviously azzume defensively...
Further clarification for you is needed. Suggestion put down your defensive armor, let a little perspective sink in)

👉By saying if two umpires can't figure out how to see plays on the entire field, there are worse issues at hand.
That may mean the field is so horribly terrible even two umpires wouldn't be able to call every play.
Situations that Could have nothing to do with any umpire.
And everyone having to play on a horrible field.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015

I respectfully disagree some on this. As long as we (umpires) pretend everything is perfect we will continue to have problems. I mentioned in another post that I dubbed a pickoff (baseball) a "$45 play" and that is the term I am going to use from here out. Save yourself $45 (or more) by not hiring a third umpire and you get what a two-person crew can see. (The first time I used that term was working third base in a state tournament -- called a runner out stealing. Between innings the coach said "She was safe with a two-man crew." I said "Absolutely. Best $45 ever spent.")

Truth is, in a two-person crew we have several plays that we are out of position for or are chasing behind. As @EdLovrich said many umpires bust their asses ... but many more do not (or cannot). We do try to get the best look we can, but that is not always the best possible look.

Base umpire is in C-position (behind F6) and you can't see a pulled foot at first base. B-position does not give the BU a good look at a steal or a pickoff back at first, yet we still insist the BU should roughly be half-way (instead of set up on second) even though 98% of the time the play will be at second. Same at third base as you are chasing behind the play when the runner slides in.

Let's take the whole protruding dugout out of this situation ... if neither umpire is shadowing that play, odds are that they will still miss the trap against the fence. The dugout just changes the way the umpires should have prepared for it, not they way they should be working it. It does not change that we need to be moving!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad