World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The handful of times, when we were on defense, when this was called the ball has always hit the ground. The “ordinary effort” phrase always goes through my head and I think that the umpire does not know our Team very well. :)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
The handful of times, when we were on defense, when this was called the ball has always hit the ground. The “ordinary effort” phrase always goes through my head and I think that the umpire does not know our Team very well. :)

Yes, it's happened to us to, but I think even at young ages, if it is in infield fly, it should be called.

Now, last night, that was quite a ways out, and he signaled way late.

Oh well, Cards can't win without cheating. ;)

Jun 24, 2011
menomonee falls, wi
I agree with the call on the bunt play, but the fly ball was a debacle.
Did it change the outcome of the game, we will never know. Did Atlanta
deserve to win the game, probably not, but that was terrible. I was watching
the game at Wild Wings, so I couldn't hear the commentators as to who originally
made the call, but if the ump all the way in the outfield called it, it was waaaaaay
too late and should never have been called. If the home plate ump made the original
call, it was a judgement call on his part and if he made the call when he first saw it
go in the air, it would have been a little more justified.

From the replays I watched, it appears as ump furthest out in left made the call
when the ball was approx. 30 feet from the ground. Waaaay to late and too far into
left field to justify the call.

I never like to say 1 call either way should ever determine the outcome of a game,
because you never know what would have happened after that play. But I do
know McCann with 20hr's this year would have seen a few good pitches to hit
with bases loaded 1 out vs 1st base open with 2 outs. McCann could have hit
a grand slam and he could have hit into a double play, who knows.

Just my .02

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
There were at least 2 interesting calls in the game last night that could apply to softball.

First was on a bunt the batter ran in foul territory then veered into fair to be hit in the helmet by the throw from the pitcher. Runs score. Umpire called the batter out for interference and put the runners back. Seemed like a good call.

The more controversial was a shallow fly ball to LF, SS moved at the last second to let the LF get it, ball hit the ground untouched. Not sure when but the Umpire called the infield fly rule. Terrible decision by the Umpire, infield fly rule should have never been called on the play. Atlanta protested the game, response was it was a judgment call by the umpire protest rejected.

Video of both plays Is on ESPN, I do not feel like posting a link.

Why do you think it was a bad call? you said yourself that the SS moved at the last second to let the LF get it, so by that it sounds like it should have been caught.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It was too deep. There were runners on 1st and 2nd so the drop the ball play would have been 3rd to 2nd from shallow left. They might not have been able to get the runner going to 2nd if the ball hit the ground just throwing the ball to 2nd let alone 3rd then 2nd. The defense had no chance for 2 outs on a dropped ball.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
the way the rule it written, I don't think how deep the ball is into the outfield matters. If the SS doesn't peel off and catches the ball, no one would have had an issue. Its a ball he should have caught. At the MLB level he would have caught it using ordinary effort. If it was a HS game, no what thats an IFR type of ball.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.
When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”
The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.
If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.
Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder—not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately.
When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05 (L). The infield fly rule takes precedence.braves-infield-fly-rule-530x293.jpg

Why I think it was a bad call.
#1 The rule "infield fly rule" would refer to a ball hit in the infield. This ball covered approx 40% of the outfield before landing.
#2 "Which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort". Most would not judge running half of the outfield as ordinary effort.
#3 apperant that the batted will be an infield fly, umpire shall immediately declare infield fly rule". Ball was on the way down before his hand was raised.
#4 I drew the Braves in a hat pick pool, so they couldn't be beat fairly.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Seems like I remember a thread on umpires, lots were opinionating on how one bad call shouldn't cost you a game. ( some said it could ) But the umpires had nothing to do with the Braves 3 throwing errors and the Cards 4 unearned runs.

I also wonder what might have happened if the fans hadn't caused a 19 min delay. Was it too much of a delay for the Braves to run on adrendoline? Did they lose that focus of energy? It also cost them as the best closer in the game stepped on the mound, Motte.

The infield fly will be a long controversy. Since I'm a life long Cards fan, eh........it "was" a tad late.........but the umpire also HAD to wait until his judgement was clear the infielder was in a position for ordinary effort. "You know, this is what happens occasionally when you add extra umpires down the right-field and left-field lines," TBS spokesman Darling added. "You have extra umpires and sometimes you have extra calls."

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What do you think of the strike zone box they have on TV that shows you the pitch location. I love it, I have noticed though, the MLB network will only put it up when it confirms the umps call. I have never seen a strike called, that is just outside the line, and no ball calls that are straddling the line. On other networks, several times a game you will see a pitch that was called "wrong", but never on MLB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish