world record shortest private tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Had a second year 14u pitcher try out that was a similar story. She literally has 2 pitches... 47mph fast ball and a 40mph off speed. I was expecting SOOOO much more!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I always get a kick out of parents who have been living in a "rec ball cocoon". They think their DD is a superstar, until they come to a TB tryout and get shell shocked.

Modesty is the way to go when it comes to ones DD and softball, even if she is a Beast. From my experience the pitchers that are good know they are good, and would rather show you than tell you. As soon as I hear she is the next Jenny Finch, I know she will sit the bench.

Dec 7, 2011
Threads like this kill me.

Here I was thinkin that you were yukkin it up with the rest of us then:

The "coaches" on this site I think have lost what it is to be a "coach".

Then I read this phrase and it sounds like you are in dissent on the humorous but true topic here.....?

Please help me on understanding yer second phrase here. (or maybe I am not reading this right this late at night..?)

Does thou Master Yoda have a teaching moment for us here on this thread?

Apr 1, 2013
Here I was thinkin that you were yukkin it up with the rest of us then:

Then I read this phrase and it sounds like you are in dissent on the humorous but true topic here.....?

Please help me on understanding yer second phrase here. (or maybe I am not reading this right this late at night..?)

Does thou Master Yoda have a teaching moment for us here on this thread?

I am a master at nothing but you used the word I was looking for "teaching". Seems like most coaches on this site get to pick from the ELITE players and leave the kids that actually could be refined into much better players get ridiculed. I see many post get cut down from the "experts" and it sure makes me and Im sure a lot more people less likley to say anything. I know Im gonna get flamed for this but so be it.

Jun 1, 2013
I see your point clearly, I used to agree but the building/learning level is rec or "c". A and B are for fine tuning more advanced players. That doesn't mean it happens that way though. A lot more talent "collectors" than talent "developers". Honestly, IMO, more and more A&B level coaches don't know how to build a start from scratch athlete into a ballplayer. They can make the right pitch calls and situational decisions but teach a girl how to handle a ground ball and keep her feet moving toward target is beyond them. Great example I am about to give you, Coach "A" took a 16a team and won nationals, coached 18 gold afterward and did well. He dropped down to coach his younger daughter's team and has had the same core girls for three years. I let my daughter play a season with them and his core girls couldn't catch a fly ball, hit a ball, or even run bases correctly. This is beside the point though, an "a" level team can't use a "c" level pitcher. It is unfair to the other "a" players that deserve a pitcher at their skill level. Not to mention th parent completely misrepresenting their dd. You find that coach that wants to develop your player, (and can) don't leave them. You may not find another. End of semi rant.

Oct 19, 2009
I am a master at nothing but you used the word I was looking for "teaching". Seems like most coaches on this site get to pick from the ELITE players and leave the kids that actually could be refined into much better players get ridiculed. I see many post get cut down from the "experts" and it sure makes me and Im sure a lot more people less likley to say anything. I know Im gonna get flamed for this but so be it.

Your frame of reference is the problem. Our team is full except one spot which we are saving for a pitcher who can make an impact. If I were to waste that pick on a "project player" the rest of our families who pay good money to be on the team would have a major beef.

Coaches get blasted on this site routinely. I go out of my way to communicate honestly with players and families both of kids who play for me and kids we pass on. Here you got a dad who on one hand tells me he's got a kid throwing 60 playing 18u ball shows up and has never pitched from 43'? Personally I thought it was classic. Over the years I have had countless private tryouts for players who were not what we were looking for, but here was a first on several levels - at least for me. (But I do have a better story about a dad who brought his dd to a couple of our public tryouts)

And no one is being ridiculed if there are no names and places to go with the story which there are not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish