Working on the glove arm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
[video=youtube_share;e4Tf89j7T8w]http://youtu.be/e4Tf89j7T8w[/video]

We are again taking the advice of several folks in regards to the glove arm. My DD has, over time, "kinked" the glove arm thus pulling the left shoulder backwards which causes her to be too square at release. I am slowly learning the kinetic chain involved in correct pitching mechanics, proper shoulder & hip placement, etc...and in my DD's case, the glove arm is not allowing her to be in the correct/optimum position and causing "over torqueing" of the upper torso, hence the reason we are focusing on it. I am always hesitant to post the things we are going through/working on in fear of the participants on this board may get to where they think we are always soliciting advice. Although I do and want the advice, i post our journey in the hopes other bucketdads like me will get the same benefit i have from the input posted on our threads. I am posting two vids in two threads again.
As always any input and advice is always appreciated
Thank you!

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
I find the responses to your posts extremely helpful in teaching my DD. She has many things to work on that are similar to your DD.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Some of the best learning/discussions have taken place in your threads.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Boomers2012,

Look at many of the clips on the model pitchers thread before you are convinced the glove arm is a problem. You might me focusing on something you do not need too.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Boomers2012,

Look at many of the clips on the model pitchers thread before you are convinced the glove arm is a problem. You might me focusing on something you do not need too.

That is a very valid point. Im not concerned with the glove swimming, we ae more concerned with the torqueing action that occurs when she kinks that glove arm and pulls it into her body. I did realize that working on this has caused her to be tight and rigid though. We are going to work on it for a couple weeks and see what happens. If she remains tight and naturally wants to go back to using that "kinking action of the glove arm" we may just leave it at that and let her find her way without focusing on it. Thank you for the input.

Java, Ken, BM, Rick.....feel free to chime in at any moment :)!!!

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Im not concerned with the glove swimming, we ae more concerned with the torqueing action that occurs when she kinks that glove arm and pulls it into her body.

Lizzy muscles through the whip... and the torquing action of the elbow rearward, is adding to this. Her shoulder rotation is a little excessive, and the result is that she ends up throwing around the leg. Boomers is very detail oriented, and the work he has done with Lizzy is phenomenal. She's a great kid with lots of upward potential... they'll get there... they've come a LONG way over the last 6 months or so... and will continue to succeed because of their great work ethic.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Use that glove. Use it to help assist the drive and help energize the release. Give the glove arm a purpose other than to balance out what the rest of the body is doing. I believe it will help her open more naturally and help energize her release.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes