Working on spins?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I recall during on the game between Alabama & Oregon the broadcaster advised that after talking to the AL pitching coach about their freshman pitcher sensation that they rarely work on speed with her, but work on spin. She advised that they used the spinner, base balls and 11 inch softballs.

When DD and I work on spin we use the spinner, double 12 inch balls, 14 inch ball, and 14 inch weighted ball, but not smaller balls such as the 11 inch or baseball.

Just wondering what some of you think about using under size balls for working on spin vs over size balls?

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'm more accustomed to using a 14" or a double ball when working on spins. The smaller balls would make it easier to grip, but I've never tried it with any kids.

Dec 11, 2010
How about the zip balls?

Smaller than a baseball and the same weight as a softball. Seems like we never have time to work on this kind of stuff. Isn't there a pretty long thread on the methods and benefits of working spins?

EDIT: Riseball answered while I was asking. That is good work!

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Was that the PC that would tie a rope around the stride leg ankle and pull on it during her stride... in an effort to get her body forward... (rhetorical question) You know... create a greater wedge... and then expect the athlete to overcome it?

I'm thinking it was also the one that had Traina on a balance beam pre-game...

Sorry if that comes across the wrong way...

I recommend a 12" taped softball, a revfire, and a bottle of super glue. ;)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I recall during on the game between Alabama & Oregon the broadcaster advised that after talking to the AL pitching coach about their freshman pitcher sensation that they rarely work on speed with her, but work on spin. She advised that they used the spinner, base balls and 11 inch softballs.

When DD and I work on spin we use the spinner, double 12 inch balls, 14 inch ball, and 14 inch weighted ball, but not smaller balls such as the 11 inch or baseball.

Just wondering what some of you think about using under size balls for working on spin vs over size balls?

Will often see pitchers work their riseball spin with the spinner ... tossing the spinner backwards .... and what I see is "wrist" movement that is out of sequence with how the wrist is actually snapped in a proper pitch. Just an observation ... liked the above comment about the spin being with the "fingers".

Jan 12, 2012
A, A
Why the need for gadgets? Why not just practice your pitches and learn to throw them in the process of your full motion?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Why the need for gadgets? Why not just practice your pitches and learn to throw them in the process of your full motion?

No joke ..... I frequently hear pitchers state that they are going to work on their spin today .... a "spin day" .... often code for what is in reality a lazy workout.

The one that cracks me up most is seeing a pitcher walk up to their catcher, turn and face the opposite way, and then pretend to work on their riseball spin as they toss the ball backwards to their catcher.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Blasphemy .... next I suppose we will read that the spin is more the result of the throwing action that takes place during the whip .... complete with the importance of pressure points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom