Workin the lean video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Mothgirl, if you have a chance, go to the DM sticky, page 28, scroll down to post #279 (sorry I don't know how to put the link on here). It's post from Java on Understanding Overlap and the Pushback Drill. He references a video I sent in and he breaks it down and really digs in to all aspects of the motion. Tons of helpful info in that post!

Aug 21, 2008
mothgirl, Keep in mind: there is big difference between the 2 words: STRAIGHT and LOCKED. Now with that in mind:

What I see the first problem I see is that she bends both knees before the push forward. Once the back knee bends, her butt sinks and it takes the pressure and push power away from the front leg. Think of a sprinter taking off out of the starter blocks: On your mark... Get set... (at that point the front leg is bent to push but the back leg goes straight so the butt doesn't go down).

When I have a pitcher that leans at release, in MOST cases, it's because her stride leg is bent as it hits the ground. If the leg is straight (not locked) it will help keep the shoulders back at release. Also, remind her to keep her chin behind her bellybutton at the release. Say that repeatedly. Chin behind the bellybutton. Or "tall when you release the ball".

While this wasn't part of your question, so forgive me, but it doesn't look like she gets sideways enough (or possibly at all, it's hard to tell from that angle). Remember, she needs to get sideways, in mid motion the back shoulder should be hidden from the catcher. Make sure her stride foot is NOT pointing at the catcher. If it does, she will be straight and not sideways. This makes it impossible to get the arm THROUGH the hips and makes her have to go around them. This leads to a lot of inside pitches to Right hand hitters and a lot of bullet spin pitches.

On the plus side, she looks to have size and strength. Those are 2 things that NO pitching coach can teach. And she looks athletic with good timing and coordination. Her issues appear to be muscle memory. That can be fixed if she puts the time in, I doubt it will take her too long. Remember, practice makes PERMANENT not perfect. Throwing 200 pitches that reinforce bad muscle memory doesn't really help. Make sure the things she's working on are actually the things she needs to be corrected.

Good luck.

Bill

Mar 12, 2009
mothgirl, Keep in mind: there is big difference between the 2 words: STRAIGHT and LOCKED. Now with that in mind:

What I see the first problem I see is that she bends both knees before the push forward. Once the back knee bends, her butt sinks and it takes the pressure and push power away from the front leg. Think of a sprinter taking off out of the starter blocks: On your mark... Get set... (at that point the front leg is bent to push but the back leg goes straight so the butt doesn't go down).

When I have a pitcher that leans at release, in MOST cases, it's because her stride leg is bent as it hits the ground. If the leg is straight (not locked) it will help keep the shoulders back at release. Also, remind her to keep her chin behind her bellybutton at the release. Say that repeatedly. Chin behind the bellybutton. Or "tall when you release the ball".

While this wasn't part of your question, so forgive me, but it doesn't look like she gets sideways enough (or possibly at all, it's hard to tell from that angle). Remember, she needs to get sideways, in mid motion the back shoulder should be hidden from the catcher. Make sure her stride foot is NOT pointing at the catcher. If it does, she will be straight and not sideways. This makes it impossible to get the arm THROUGH the hips and makes her have to go around them. This leads to a lot of inside pitches to Right hand hitters and a lot of bullet spin pitches.

On the plus side, she looks to have size and strength. Those are 2 things that NO pitching coach can teach. And she looks athletic with good timing and coordination. Her issues appear to be muscle memory. That can be fixed if she puts the time in, I doubt it will take her too long. Remember, practice makes PERMANENT not perfect. Throwing 200 pitches that reinforce bad muscle memory doesn't really help. Make sure the things she's working on are actually the things she needs to be corrected.

Good luck.

Bill

Bill definitely hit on the thing that stood out to me most... too much bending of the stride leg knee causing her to squat/sink.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Yes I did notice the bend in the stride leg, I sent video to PC she said same thing. PC is going to help her with the pushback drill and spilt jump drill this week

Great feedback Bill thanks! I'll have to go back and read it again lots of good info, I have it in the back of my head that she didn't get very open but she's got a problem with opening too soon most of the time so I will wait before I open my mouth about getting open. I hope putting a ball in hand will help that! She worked on it last night with dad, ball in hand, but I didn't get to see it. She said she had to stop cuz her legs got really tired. Thank u for feed back!!

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Since catchermom referenced her daughter's work on the pushback, I'm hoping it's ok to borrow PC's gif to use as a reference.

PB.gif

Note how she allows her body to fall into the sprinter's stance?

Rampage

Banned
Jul 8, 2015
Good advise here. What about a different lean, such as the hip and body leaning towards 3b (rh) and hips not rotating through and shoulder is dropping. More like the butt is popping out etc!

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
[video]http://i57.tinypic.com/28up56g.jpg[/video]

This video first posted by JavaSource is one of the best I've seen on this site. Have your kid try doing this: first just as shown; then as she comes out of her lean simulate throwing a ball (no ball or glove one); then have her do this and throw a pitch with a ball. Now I know this appears to be an exagerated move for a pitcher....but sometimes you need to exaggerate just to get where you want to end up.

Good stuff right there.....

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Since catchermom referenced her daughter's work on the pushback, I'm hoping it's ok to borrow PC's gif to use as a reference.

NP ever Ken & or everyone
... public Domain .... I do this to try to help the OP's get help. I like to watch them play over & over 20+ times without having to hit buttons :cool:

Mar 12, 2009

There's been a couple others but this is one of the best examples of someone performing the push-back until her stride foot lands. Nice gif PC!

Catchermom... did you ever post another clip with your DD performing this drill while actually pitching a ball? It would be neat to see how much better she would look from the time her stride foot lands through the end of the pitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell