Workin the lean video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
After practice today dd tried to get in her lean. This is the first try, (a parent that used to sprint helped her). She only practice for about ten min, but it's a start! Feedback? Thank you!

https://www.coachseye.com/v/5AWm

(This is the first time she's Practiced it since she decided she wanted to change it I should say)

Last edited:
mothgirl
Yes and it is a good start. I've attached a couple marked up pics. One shows her in her forward drive position...great start on a new move. Second one shows that just when you make progress on one thing, another can squirt out.....she seems to be over correcting her excessive backward lean....now it is to forward. Learning these new moves "dry" (without a ball) is a good idea.....but definitely try them with a ball also....something about having a ball in the hand really changes the outcome.
mothgirl pic 3 - Copy.jpgmothgirl pic 4 - Copy.jpg

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
mothgirl
Yes and it is a good start. I've attached a couple marked up pics. One shows her in her forward drive position...great start on a new move. Second one shows that just when you make progress on one thing, another can squirt out.....she seems to be over correcting her excessive backward lean....now it is to forward. Learning these new moves "dry" (without a ball) is a good idea.....but definitely try them with a ball also....something about having a ball in the hand really changes the outcome.
View attachment 9119View attachment 9120

I didn't notice how forward she was, good feedback thank you.

Next time should she focus on getting her head in front of her knee more? (In beginning) Or is that not a good cue? I need to go back and reed the drive mechanics.

Last edited:
[video]http://i57.tinypic.com/28up56g.jpg[/video]

This video first posted by JavaSource is one of the best I've seen on this site. Have your kid try doing this: first just as shown; then as she comes out of her lean simulate throwing a ball (no ball or glove one); then have her do this and throw a pitch with a ball. Now I know this appears to be an exagerated move for a pitcher....but sometimes you need to exaggerate just to get where you want to end up.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I think the following helps her achieve what Pauly is suggesting with regards to her landing...

On her backswing, as her arm (on its way back) passes her right hip. she should start running away from that arm by driving her hips forward to get the slanted h Pauly indicated. That is, when that right arm passes the right hip in the backswing, she needs to start her explosive drive forward as if the run away from her right arm. I think she's doing just the opposite--starting her hips forward only when the right arm has reached the end of the backswing.

Mar 18, 2013
MN
Another cue that worked for us was that the lean/drive should "pull" the throwing arm out of the backswing (borrowed that from Java). This helped dd get that overlap and urgency of the arm to catch up to the legs. Highly recommend the pushback drill - we went over that one daily, took video and picked one thing to correct, then repeat etc.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Thank you so much! I know my dd understands that she's supposed to be moving forward sooner. I have showed her video examples of overlap, she understands it and I see her do it some times. When she does get it, she sees a big speed increase. Excited to work on it now that she's willing to change ty!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Looks like she's overemphasizing "urgency" throughout. The sequence should lead to a sense of urgency to explode. The push back drill would be awesome for her. The sequence of the drill sets the body into the lean/sprinters stance and the arm into the position it needs to be in at just the right time. I started looking for a gif of the pushback a couple weeks ago, but got distracted. If anyone could find or make one, I'd appreciate it. The pushback drill does not need to be rushed. The exaggerated step back allows the front leg to unload and the body to lean. The lean into the sprinter stance should be allowed to happen vs forcing it. Get that push foot to come up into the air and allow the body to lean. She'll feel the moment where she needs to stomp and push! Otherwise, she'll end up on her nose. (sorry for the rushed, drive by post.... running late this morning!)

Ken

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Thanks Ken! She does the push back drill we have watched the video 2 time together and she wants to start at end if you know what I mean, she doesn't or didn't want to take the time to learn the drill correctly she just went straight into doing it 100mpr. I think she will be receptive to watching video again and starting slow (I hope)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028