Wooden Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Maddie has done BP work with a wood bat quite a few times. Her's is a cheap ($30-ish) 31/28, and she has been asking for a bigger one recently.

Dont go too big Eric. Mechanics might break down.

Dec 11, 2010
Just curious what you guys do- mine have used same length as game bat.

Seems like some said they go an inch shorter?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just curious what you guys do- mine have used same length as game bat.

Seems like some said they go an inch shorter?

I haven't heard that correlation before, but it may be accurate.

When I bought my DD her wood bat, it was the same length as her game bat (31"). However, she couldn't swing it effectively until she grew a bit bigger and stronger, and was using a 32/22 game bat. Now, at the same time she's starting to feel like she's ready to step up to a 33/23, she also mentioning wanting a bigger wood bat.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Based on my previous post, don't you think this is an issue I'm already aware of?

Guess I could ask you the same question.

When I was about 12, my brother and I were playing ball at Joe Damagio park in San Francisco. We were the only people on the field and up walks this old timer decked out in a full Red Sox uniform. Button up jersey with embroidered letters, piping on the pants, black leather spikes and stirrups, fitted hat. I started to feel that maybe a game was going to start so I asked him "do you want us to leave?" He quickly responded "didnt your daddy ever tell you to let a sleeping dog lay" or maybe " dont kick a sleeping dog" something like that. I was taken back and didnt say much after that. A minute or two passed and he told me to get in the box and told my brother to catch. He walked to the mound and started to pitch. First one came inside then the next outside maybe one in the dirt. I was thinking to my self this guy sucks. He finally came in with one and i turned it around, right above his head and left of second base. He started screaming at me "what the hell are you doing?" I responded "I thought we were playing" he said "you could have fouled it straight back into the catcher" I thought to myself it wasnt fast and I did what I wanted to do with the pitch, but quickly apologized to him. For the next 15 minutes I stood there in the box watching meatball after meatball cross the plate. It was boring.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
IMO an Anderson Rocketech of the same length as a DD's gamer provides much the same benefit as wood, but isn't quite as heavy. Plus, when they get comfortable with it and are advanced/strong enough to swing it without sacrificing mechanics, they can game it! This is the route we went to rebuild my DD's swing.

Dec 11, 2010
We got away from using wood for moving balls but it just so happens that I have a wall covered with some really lovely RT's.... Hmmmmm, yeah that probably just became part of the plan!

There are still a few kids in my area swinging these. And those kids absolutely hit bombs.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Guess I could ask you the same question.

When I was about 12, my brother and I were playing ball at Joe Damagio park in San Francisco. We were the only people on the field and up walks this old timer decked out in a full Red Sox uniform. Button up jersey with embroidered letters, piping on the pants, black leather spikes and stirrups, fitted hat. I started to feel that maybe a game was going to start so I asked him "do you want us to leave?" He quickly responded "didnt your daddy ever tell you to let a sleeping dog lay" or maybe " dont kick a sleeping dog" something like that. I was taken back and didnt say much after that. A minute or two passed and he told me to get in the box and told my brother to catch. He walked to the mound and started to pitch. First one came inside then the next outside maybe one in the dirt. I was thinking to my self this guy sucks. He finally came in with one and i turned it around, right above his head and left of second base. He started screaming at me "what the hell are you doing?" I responded "I thought we were playing" he said "you could have fouled it straight back into the catcher" I thought to myself it wasnt fast and I did what I wanted to do with the pitch, but quickly apologized to him. For the next 15 minutes I stood there in the box watching meatball after meatball cross the plate. It was boring.

I have zero idea what your point is.

My previous comment was not directed specifically at you. It was an add-on to your very good post as a precaution for others who may be interested in having their DD try a wood bat.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
I have zero idea what your point is.

My previous comment was not directed specifically at you. It was an add-on to your very good post as a precaution for others who may be interested in having their DD try a wood bat.

Its all good. I was just showing you that you could have added on to your post.

Anyways getting back to your point, I have always heard that heavier bats will break down mechanics but have always wondered why? Sure the player wont be able to swing as fast. But what specific mechanics do you see breakdown when players use a bat that is too big. I would think a heavy bat would make it harder to keep the bat at a 45 behind their head to start. I think the player would probably keep the heavy bat vertical in a unweighted position to start. I think a heavy bat would also be more difficult to drop level and swing flat. My guess would be that a heavy bat might help keep the body in a 'strong position'. But im just thinking out loud.

Lay some knowledge down for those that might consider using a wood bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi