Wood bat practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
Just an update. So far buy in from the girls is 100%. The extra few ounces and the wood bats being more end loaded has not caused any problems, they are aware of the extra weight and a few even say they feel themselves using more of their core and less arms to power their swing. Its been almost two months and the balls are starting to pop coming off the wood bats.

If I have noticed anything it is that some girls are occasionally collapsing a little on the back side, causing a bit of a loop in the swing. We correct it right away and I make them show me the proper bat path and how being weak on the back side can effect bat path.

I dont know if that is because of the extra weight or just common traits in these girls.

All in all I like and will continue with it. Only 1 broken bat so far, I was kind of hoping for a few more :)

One more thing is grip. I had one girl complain about stinging on sunday and we went over grip again.......she was still convinced having the bat in her fingers would sting more, I convinced her to really try it and she did with positive results.

I think with the wrong grip the wood bats are less forgiving.

Dec 11, 2010
Mike- After the season has ended was this experiment a success and will you be doing wood bat training again? ww.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi