Winter Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
1JsYnV.gif

Overall it looks like a pretty nice swing to me. Coogansbluff mentioned the orientation to the side toss. I think that may also cause some of what you see in the gif. One thing that sticks out to me is the orientation of her shoulders in relationship to where a pitcher would be. If there was a pitcher throwing to her, she would have trouble seeing the ball, IMO. But I believe this is due to the side toss. I would guess her upper body orientation is slightly different with front toss. Personally I think there is a lot to like here.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When you step out you want to be toe to toe.
Like draw a straight line in the dirt parallel to the plate. No matter how open you start, you should end up in a straight line even with the back foot., Not step open or step to far closed past the line.
I call it toe to toe
SL

SL - I am not going to disagree with you, but I have a slightly different way of looking at this. Rather than making a parallel line, I instruct to stride towards the pitcher's release point. So if the pitcher is right handed, your stride will be ever so slightly to one side of that parallel line. If the pitcher is left handed, your stride will be on the other side of that parallel line. At 43 feet, the difference between a right handed release point and a left handed release point is not that great, but there is a slight difference.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
SL - I am not going to disagree with you, but I have a slightly different way of looking at this. Rather than making a parallel line, I instruct to stride towards the pitcher's release point. So if the pitcher is right handed, your stride will be ever so slightly to one side of that parallel line. If the pitcher is left handed, your stride will be on the other side of that parallel line. At 43 feet, the difference between a right handed release point and a left handed release point is not that great, but there is a slight difference.

I was watching lessons from Howard. Many different girls, all different ages. Once in awhile he will explain the toe to toe to the hitting student and have her hit balls.
Every time they go toe to toe the ball got hit harder.

I believe he calls it the line of force. I am not in the medical world and don't know the physics of why that happens, I just know the sound coming off the bat.

This demonstration I have seen over the years. Same result every time.

Just a FYI from a personal experience

SL

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I was watching lessons from Howard. Many different girls, all different ages. Once in awhile he will explain the toe to toe to the hitting student and have her hit balls.
Every time they go toe to toe the ball got hit harder.

I believe he calls it the line of force. I am not in the medical world and don't know the physics of why that happens, I just know the sound coming off the bat.

This demonstration I have seen over the years. Same result every time.

Just a FYI from a personal experience

SL

I don't have an opinion on this except that it makes some sense, but I do notice that the first clip of Hugo in this thread (not so much the second one) and the shot of McCutchen both show the hitters planting the lead foot a little more open than toe to toe. I actually know a couple of coaches who advocate that, believing it allows for a little more torque and stretch between hips/shoulders and faster rotation. Again, not arguing that point of view, just putting it out there. And going slightly more open or closed might be moot here. Maybe Howard is simply saying don't stray too far from that line.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

SL

Like I said, I am not disagreeing with you. I am essentially saying the same thing. However, I am considering the line of force as a line that is created by the pitched ball. If the pitcher is right handed, the line of force is coming from a slightly different direction than if the pitcher is left handed. Same theory. Slightly different application. All good...

Jun 1, 2013
Yes if I had a link to the youtube video or I could figure out how to save it with it keeping the animationn

Jun 18, 2010
this awesome. Where can I find this video?

Easton, I created the video from a screen capture. I converted the video to a .gif. I'll see if I still have the original .mov file, if so, I'll post it on youtube. I may have deleted the video after I created the .gif.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi