Winter Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
1JsYnV.gif

I don't think there is a problem with where her foot is landing. What appears to be stepping in might be the result of side toss and her orientation to it. Looks like base hit CF to me. Just turn the field clockwise a little bit to accommodate it.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
I've always called this the "Golden Gopher" swing. I see a lot of the Minnesota girls start open like this then step in as they swing.

Seems to work for them.

Of course now that I've said this, I can't find a single example of it....

Ah! Here:

Ack, now I can't get it to the time I want. Check the 1 min mark.

As far as your DD? Looks like a nice un-catchable hit to me. It looks like she is pulling her head out a bit early to watch where she hits it? or she might be just following the soft toss, hard to tell from this angle.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Knight, anyway to lighten up the video? It looks like she take her time bringing the front leg down. Should you bring the knee in to coil and explode on the ball?

Any other videos?

Thanks!

Same at bat, side view:

hugo_hr_alabama_zpsf613289c.gif

Regarding the front leg, RHC described it best (I'll try not to butcher it), you don't want an "independent front leg". IOW, what is happening with the front leg is a result of what was initiated by the core and what is going on with the back side.

Edit: What Hugo does with her front knee is more a style that works for her versus an absolute. The absolute is you don't want a independent front leg action.

May 3, 2014
Nice Knight.

Initial pulse/engagement of the core and allow the front leg to cock and the barrel to tip

Relax to allow the barrel to untip / front leg to stride out / oblique slings to work and the arms to make adjustments (like Hugo is in this clip)

Final pulse of core into contact so that all energy from hips is transferred through torso with minimal leakage (eliminate the soft spots) out the shoulders and down through the arms. Means you are hitting with entire body and not just the arms - then after contact learning to relax just as quickly as the final pulse occurred.

Work backwards and have the hitter understand that in order to final pulse into contact - there has to be a relax phase prior. Bruce Lee's one inch punch a great example of pulsing into contact and then just as quickly relaxing so he could get into next striking position very quickly.

This is a learned action. Being able to pulse/relax/Pulse takes a lot of energy so hitters will not be able to do this for an extended period of time.

Good luck!

EDIT - understand the relax phase is not entirely a relaxation. It is a readiness mode prior to exerting a lot of energy to pulse very quickly.

Same at bat, side view:

hugo_hr_alabama_zpsf613289c.gif

Regarding the front leg, RHC described it best (I'll try not to butcher it), you don't want an "independent front leg". IOW, what is happening with the front leg is a result of what was initiated by the core and what is going on with the back side.

Edit: What Hugo does with her front knee is more a style that works for her versus an absolute. The absolute is you don't want a independent front leg action.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi