Winter break

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
When our pitchers pitch during practice, like if half the team scrimmages the other half, their goal is to get the batter out, just like a regular game. One time a coach told my DD to give a girl something to hit and DH jumped right on that (AC at the time). She throws to better herself as well as the batters, or not at all. might as well have a coach do it.

I have been lucky enough to have some great mentors in this sport in the form of current and former coaches and a few moms and dads of girls now in college. I pickup things from each as I listen and a dad of a pitcher brought this point up one day and man did it stick. The biggest thing I worry about with my DD pitcher is what is between her ears. Confidence and poise is king so I protect her from situations like this. I am all about the situation you described. Glad your DH jumped all over that one!

Feb 15, 2017
Batting practice probably isn't the right term, just went for brevity and didn't mean to cause convulsions.

It was more of an infield practice, all of the batters were bunting. The goal was to work on communication and fielding skills for bunts, but she did strike a few girls out ;).

Whew - that’s more like it!

Mar 20, 2015
Tried something a little different this year. Taking off in Nov and Dec but still doing some light 900 drills throwing ball underhand experimenting with different grips. Also doing 2 step type drills working on improving her drive mechanics but without a ball. Surprised to find her focus on details of drive mechanics is much better since there is no pressure to immediately throw full pitch. Keeping it all short duration and maybe twice a week. Hoping for some gains in her form by the time she picks back up in January and her shoulder will still be well rested. She also has basketball.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Tried something a little different this year. Taking off in Nov and Dec but still doing some light 900 drills throwing ball underhand experimenting with different grips. Also doing 2 step type drills working on improving her drive mechanics but without a ball. Surprised to find her focus on details of drive mechanics is much better since there is no pressure to immediately throw full pitch. Keeping it all short duration and maybe twice a week. Hoping for some gains in her form by the time she picks back up in January and her shoulder will still be well rested. She also has basketball.

This is what we do. We take December off from pitching, and all overhang throwing, but we are doing 9 o'clock drills just to help with feeling the release. We play our first tournament in late January, so only about four weeks to get back up to form after the break.

Jun 12, 2015
I have been lucky enough to have some great mentors in this sport in the form of current and former coaches and a few moms and dads of girls now in college. I pickup things from each as I listen and a dad of a pitcher brought this point up one day and man did it stick. The biggest thing I worry about with my DD pitcher is what is between her ears. Confidence and poise is king so I protect her from situations like this. I am all about the situation you described. Glad your DH jumped all over that one!

I'm not sure what he'd have done as "just" a parent and not a coach, but he probably would've said something anyway. He was really polite about it and the coach understood. He told us at the start of the season he had been a catcher's dad and didn't know much about pitching. I realize pitchers' parents can get a bad rap for over-involvement but it's a unique position. There's a lot to protect and too many coaches who don't understand it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi