Wind-Up Glove Arm back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 24, 2020
General question - Is this windup legal for USSSA softball? I only ask because our recent pitching coach, and travel ball coach are making my daughter switch her windup. Which in turn is making her shoulders dip because of her new windup, and it is throwing her off. Basically I noticed this UCLA pitcher has the exact same windup my daughter had. Currently playing 10U, and somewhere in the USSSA rules they are saying you can't bring the glove arm back. I've looked over the rules, and can't seem to see where this interpretation is coming from. Thanks in advance for any explanation!

USSSA Rules PG. 36 of the PDF is about pitching
https://usssa.com/docs/Fastpitch/Fastpitch_Rules.pdf

Feb 25, 2020
The only way this could be illegal is if she uses "step back" and separates her hands before her step back foot leaves the rubber.

Otherwise your coaches dont know what they are talking about.

Oct 26, 2019
I don’t want to speak for @Hillhouse, but I believe I recall him saying once or twice that if you are going to backswing, he suggested doing it with both arms like this so they both can said in the push/momentum out.

Dec 24, 2020
The only way this could be illegal is if she uses "step back" and separates her hands before her step back foot leaves the rubber.

Otherwise your coaches dont know what they are talking about.
She doesn't use the step back. Only bringing both her arms back.

Aug 21, 2008
I don’t want to speak for @Hillhouse, but I believe I recall him saying once or twice that if you are going to backswing, he suggested doing it with both arms like this so they both can said in the push/momentum out.
I don't believe that's what I said. I can't imagine EVER being in favor of this wind up, I think I'd have suggested if someone is going to do a backswing they take the glove back on the same side to conceal the ball even a little bit. The fact that hitters are not seeing the grip multiple times ahead of the pitch is very sad at that level. This goes back to the thing I've said many times, there's a big difference in teaching someone to swing the bat and to hit the ball. I see it all the time at facilities I work in where hitting coaches work exclusively on swig mechanics through tee work and "soft toss". This pitcher does zero to conceal her pitch, and it's remarkable that isn't exploited. It really goes to show there is another level even beyond D1 softball (Olympics) where the hitters keep books on pitcher's tendencies, picks they see, etc. But it's just one man's opinion.

Oct 26, 2019
I don't believe that's what I said. I can't imagine EVER being in favor of this wind up, I think I'd have suggested if someone is going to do a backswing they take the glove back on the same side to conceal the ball even a little bit. The fact that hitters are not seeing the grip multiple times ahead of the pitch is very sad at that level. This goes back to the thing I've said many times, there's a big difference in teaching someone to swing the bat and to hit the ball. I see it all the time at facilities I work in where hitting coaches work exclusively on swig mechanics through tee work and "soft toss". This pitcher does zero to conceal her pitch, and it's remarkable that isn't exploited. It really goes to show there is another level even beyond D1 softball (Olympics) where the hitters keep books on pitcher's tendencies, picks they see, etc. But it's just one man's opinion.
Apologies. Makes sense now. FWIW my DD comes out of the glove and it’s one of the first recommendations I make of new pitchers - for all the reasons you advocate for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi