Will warped end cap disqualify bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD is headed to the ASA state tournament this weekend. Friday night there is a mandatory bat inspection. We noticed that her 2016 Xeno's (warranty replacement that she has had since April) end cap is warped (for lack of a better term). Will this disqualify the bat?20160705_221944.jpg20160705_221955.jpg

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Try pressing the end cap onto a flat surface or a block of wood. Do you have a long adjustable clamp? You can find them at Home Depot for @ $16. Worst case use a little super glue and press it back into place with the clamp and a block of wood. (picture shown does not include the block of wood, but including the block would give more even pressure on the edges of the end cap.
20151002_135347.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-36-in-Clutch-Style-Bar-Clamp-with-Wood-Handle-and-2-1-2-in-Throat-Depth-GSCC2-536/204986199

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I checked and the clamp isn't in stock in our silly little town. I have tried pushing it back into place using the wood floor and it is a little better. Do you think that they will disqualify it just for that? She leaves for the tournament today...

Jan 7, 2013
Most likely not, but have a backup. DD carries her game bat and practice bat to tournaments. Fortunately, the practice bat is in great shape.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I checked and the clamp isn't in stock in our silly little town. I have tried pushing it back into place using the wood floor and it is a little better. Do you think that they will disqualify it just for that? She leaves for the tournament today...

I doubt they will disqualify it, but have a backup plan ready just in case. You can also try placing the end cap on a solid flat surface and putting a block of wood on the top of the handle and hitting it with a hammer a couple of times to see if it will force the end cap back in place.

Dec 19, 2012
I think they will disqualify the bat if they believe the end cap to be a potential danger. Have you tried tapping the end cap with a rubber mallet?

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I doubt they will disqualify it, but have a backup plan ready just in case. You can also try placing the end cap on a solid flat surface and putting a block of wood on the top of the handle and hitting it with a hammer a couple of times to see if it will force the end cap back in place.

DD used your wood block method and says that it is barely noticeable. Since it is an unpopular size (34/26) I found one on Amazon for $199. I had it overnighted so I will bring it with us just in case they disqualify her bat. And if they don't I will just return it. Or maybe keep it as a backup...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12