Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm more and more convinced that is part truth, part genuine lack of knowledge but also a huge dose of utter disregard for the health of the pitcher. We'll never know how many girls that could have loved the game that flamed out because of this but I'd guess we are north of 30% through high school. I also think with the massive shortage of pitchers at older levels, it's a massive disservice to the game to not share the load at younger levels.
I usually err on the side of people being idiots rather than asses but I am sure there is some of that too..

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2022
Guaranteed on the team tryout add it said “focused on developing players”. Pitcher was developed after game 1.
A few other causes,
To many teams.
Parents and kids not wanting to be a number 3-4.
Tournaments that require too many games. If you think
Too competitive too young. Leads to too few pitchers being developed. DD is a solid reliable pitcher. I am not for sure at 9 a travel team would have put up with first year walk a thon. At lessons a 16 year old pitcher whose dad had her pitching at 8 said she did not want to pitch anymore.

Pitcher development is bad. Learning spin pitches before they can throw 65% strikes with fastballs. DD won 2 games in an A level tournament this weekend throwing primarily a fastball and a drop with a few change ups both under 65 pitches. It can get interesting the 3rd time through the lineup. See way too many pitchers having 5-6 pitches and cannot throw 60% strikes. I think they probably give it up if the focused just on one or 2 they would have success and keep pitching.

While underhand is easier on the shoulder curveballs can be hard on elbow etc.

Jun 8, 2016
Baseball allows for that though. At it's most simplistic level, it's the same motion as throwing to 1st. Little Johnny has a decent arm at SS, let's give him a few innings and see what happens. Take a non-pitching SS in softball and give her an inning.....
Agree..I just thought it was amusing. Coach went to the mound, looked around and pointed at a kid. Kid came in with no warmup outside of the 8 pitches they gave him and threw 25 pitches..lol. Granted this is an 8U team who played up for this tournament but yeah, a lot easier in general to have a stable of pitchers..at least at the younger levels (also necessary because of the pitch count rules).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
My DD gets frustrated sometimes because her velocity isn’t what a lot of her peers are at. I tell her that at 13yo it’s an accomplishment to still be pitching at all. Seems like so many of the younger kids who “tried” pitching have given it up and the pitching talent in the area tends to bottleneck to just the top teams.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Also maybe at the youngest ages of softball coaches should have every kid play catch overhand and underhand if we want to develop more pitchers..

This is something we were turned onto by DD's initial pitching coach. His [strong] opinion is that young girls are done a disservice by not being taught how to play catch underhand. And that it is a big cause for the lack of pitchers in the game. I've grown to agree and be a big supporter of underhand catch.

Even though DD quit pitching full time, we still do underhand catch and long toss. For one, it's fun and different. But keeps her just enough in pitching shape that she feels comfortable if called to emergency throw or eat an inning.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Because some coaches and some parents are to ignorant to know better and to stupid to care.
Watched a girl pitch 6 straight games last night. If you figure she was averaging 75 pitches a game then ad in warm ups that puts you at 100 pitches per game easy. So in 12 hours or so she threw at least 600 pitches.
This is why I say people just don’t care as much about little girls as the do little boys. This crap has to stop.

And? So If your daughter can't throw 600 pitches we need a rule that everyone can't throw 600 pitches?

Every pitcher is different. Maybe she pitched 600 pitches last weekend. Perhaps she is throwing 600 pitches next weekend as well.

Overusing injuries with pitchers is not a problem I see at the level we play at. I am sure there is a coach somewhere overusing a pitcher, I get it. Do we need an arbitrary rule for it? No thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii