Why we do what we do.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I ran into a mom from my summer ball team today and asked her how her daughter was doing. At the end of our season the daughter began taking softball lessons from a local instructor. Like many families in So. IL. finances are tight and things like ball lessons are viewed as too expensive.
After taking the time too talk to her husband, both agreed that since their daughter cared so much about softball and was willing to work hard to improve they would quit smoking so that they could afford lessons. They determined it was selfish to pay for cigarettes instead of giving their daughter the opportunity to do what she loved.
To top things off, she began to tell me how this instructor was such a great role model and could tell, said instructor, really cared about her daughter.
It was obvious the instructor was having a positive impact on the mom and family.
It's not about softball or taking lessons.
In a world where many parents are more interested in spending money on what they want these parents were willing to give up something that had been a big part of their lives, probably since a young age! Give it up so that their child could pursue her passion!
In a world were negative, destructive people are slowly out numbering those who would rather build a child up instead of tear them down. Yes she is paid but charges half the going rate and provides double the quality instruction because she believes in what she is doing and is willing to give up some of her life to do it.
I know how life goes. I know how hard it is to stop smoking. They might start back and the athlete might one day quit but for now............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00