Why my DD will always wear a mask when pitching.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
TV reporter will wear a mask in the future.
gif-baseball-sportsmen-reaction-534535.gif

Wow. Nice catch.

Jul 17, 2012
Hal

This is the worst line of thought I have seen about this. To think a girl from 8U to 18U never makes a mistake, and that Defense will protect you when you are tired in the 5th game on Sunday in 100 degree temps, is just foolish.

DD's PC told if you NEVER throw it over the middle of the plate she will never need a face mask. Point is DD's can never say NEVER. thus we as responsible humans add a layer of safety equipment to help compensate for the one mental or physical breakdown by young girls.

Do mask cure or stop all risk?? No. But they mitigate it. and that is what safety is all about, Risk mitigation. We as humans fail to achieve perfection, so we supplement the residual risk with safety equipment. This goes for every sport and or activity.

By your line of thinking we could extend it to say batters do not need helmets or masks. Just use the bat as you are trained and practice ducking. Or by that logic if a batter uses the bat correctly than the catcher does not need a mask either.

Safety equipment is for the one time you fail to do everything you train to do. The deference between a face mask and not might just be "seeing" as you walk off the field after being hit by a ball.

In the end I am sure one wealthy family will force the issue when their DD gets hurt. IMHO everyone on the dirt should wear a mask in some form. Should be a ASA rule for all youth softball.
I disagree with the knock on what Hal is talking about. I for one KNOW that there are VERY few coaches (me being one) that thinks to "train" young players to react and defend themselves. A mask protects the face...does it protect the throat? Does it protect the side or back of their head? I've seen some girls actually turn their face away from the ball, exposing the side/back of their head. What about their knees. Should they wear knee pads? Bottom line is, you can send a pitcher, or ANY player out onto the field in every bit of protective gear available, but it shouldn't be the failsafe. I think what Hal suggests is an EXCELLENT idea, and I for one will be incorporating this into my own DD's training.

Dec 20, 2012
This is what happens when HS coaches tell you to throw strikes to DI prospects! Line drive str8 to the jaw, never hit her glove or the ground. My complaint was bad pitch calling and my daughter listening to it. With that said she played a game 1 week later with a mask, then found out the next dayher jaw was actually fractured in 2 places. 8 weeks no ball and liquid diet. First game back threw 2 pitches with a mask and threw it to the dugout. I wish she would have left it on. But she knew what may happen and made the decision to still not wear it.

I do not think they should be mandatory but would never deter a kid from wearing one.

1.jpg

Mar 31, 2011
I am not saying defensive drills should not be part of any pitchers practice, however they are not 100%. I have used them with my DD and the biggest deference is the number of stops she makes for outs.

But for anyone to say drills are "the" solution are they same type of people who say you don't need a seat belt just better driving skills.

The throat argument is weak. Eyesight is one of the most important senses. If not the most. A brain injury is so much worse than a busted knee cap. The distance from the either hand after a pitch is closer for the throat than the eye socket. Teeth do not grow back.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I am not saying defensive drills should not be part of any pitchers practice, however they are not 100%. I have used them with my DD and the biggest deference is the number of stops she makes for outs.

But for anyone to say drills are "the" solution are they same type of people who say you don't need a seat belt just better driving skills.

The throat argument is weak. Eyesight is one of the most important senses. If not the most. A brain injury is so much worse than a busted knee cap. The distance from the either hand after a pitch is closer for the throat than the eye socket. Teeth do not grow back.

I think I am the one who first posted the "throat argument" My point isn't that masks are not necessary, but that defense skills are. You can have both. In fact you should for sure have defensive skills at that age at that vulnerable of a position. Is the throat closer to the hands then the eye, sure by 6 inches, I have seen players get hit in the chest, and in the stomach Heck I'v seen them get hit on the wrist (which is quite a bit closer to the hand then the eye socket. I have seen a line drive go between a players legs, on the fly. A busted knee cap isn't as serious as a brain injury, but try to tell someone with a busted knee cap that she should be happy it wasn't her head.

Defensive skills are paramount to player safety, that big brown thing on the none throwing hand is the most important piece of safety equipment a player has. I have no problem with masks, my dd has one and has since she was 9, but it does not replace glove skill, its there to enhance her safety but it does not guarantee.

And to put my thought into perspective, when my son was 14 he took a ball to the mouth. Chipped 4 teeth, pushed 4 other teeth in and he had 2 fractures in his facial bones. So I know the danger better then most parents.

Dec 11, 2010
"Kids, you are future D1 so don't wear a mask."

"Kids, I have taught you perfect fielding mechanics so do not wear a mask"

"You are a D1 pitcher at the University of Iowa so you don't need to wear a mask."

"Kids, don't smoke unless you want to look really cool."

"Kids, don't wear your seatbelt, if you get in a crash you want to be thrown safely from the car."

Please pick the dumbest advice ever listed above.

There is no argument to not wear a mask that holds water unless you are confused and think its 1936.

Edited to add that I get it that you are not safe just because you are wearing a mask but it sure doesn't hurt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs