Why my DD will always wear a mask when pitching.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I told my DD that she has to wear a pitching mask until she pays me back for all of her dental work, and considering she is already over $7K with braces, a root canal, cavities, and a crown....I think I should be good until she graduates from college! I saw this video on Youtube today and it just reinforced my decision to make her wear a mask when pitching and I hope that someday she will be one of the first players to wear a mask while pitching in the WCWS!

14 Year Old Pitcher Gets Hit In Face With Softball. - YouTube

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I kinda wish they would make that mask mandatory at least for the younger years. For one is to get use to it, my DD hates it and I've tried pitching with it on and if you're not use to it.............it sucks and will mess with your head. Then if you choose later to not use it that's your choice. Second is young pitchers don't have the reaction time of seasoned players.

My pennies.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD has always worn a mask while pitching, so she is used to it. Also, the new style mask from Rip-It and others is like wearing a facemask on a batting helmet. As players get older their reaction times get better, but the batters also get bigger and stronger, so a 60MPH fastball hit by a big "corn fed" girl with a composite bat is going to get back to the pitchers mound in a HURRY!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
the new style mask from Rip-It and others is like wearing a facemask on a batting helmet

Ever try to pitch with a batting helmet on? That's what it feels like to me because I've thrown 20 years without one. :(

For that reason I wish the younger groups HAD to use it so they don't know any different.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My heart goes out to the young pitcher.

however, I have to report what I saw when running it back slowly. I think she slapped her leg with the glove. It was down way too low for her to defend a line drive at the head. She had only got the glove up to her waist when the ball hit her head.

Slapping the glove on the stride leg is a busted face waiting to happen. Instructors that teach that should be tarred and feathered.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My heart goes out to the young pitcher.

however, I have to report what I saw when running it back slowly. I think she slapped her leg with the glove. It was down way too low for her to defend a line drive at the head. She had only got the glove up to her waist when the ball hit her head.

Slapping the glove on the stride leg is a busted face waiting to happen. Instructors that teach that should be tarred and feathered.

I thought the same thing she was in no position to defend herself. Give your kid a mask but also teach her how to field the position

Jan 25, 2011
I see your point, but she threw the pitch right down the middle. A good batter is going to put that ball right back where it came from. If a pitcher is working everyday at pitching. There are girls working everyday at hitting. I don't like the slap of the glove either, but you also have to take in the skill of the batter.

Jun 18, 2010
I read the description from the video:

Uploaded on Dec 4, 2011

The Ball Hit Me So Hard That It Passed The Catcher And Hit The Backstop.. There Was No Serious Injury.. All It Left Me Was The Seams From The Ball On My Forehead.:)

She is very lucky that she didn't have a serious injury.

DD wears a mask in the circle and at first. She doesn't wear one in the outfield.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors