Why I love my rec ball team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
With games set to begin this week, excitement is in the air. We're mainly happy to be getting back onto the field at all after being rained out for 2-1/2 weeks straight. We did the best we could under the conditions, but the heavy rains limited us to one indoor fielding practice over that stretch in addition to a few settings at the batting cages.

Here are just a few of the reasons why I'm loving my team:

1) Despite the weather struggles, the parents have been very accommodating with the multiple practice times and locations, two of which are in neighboring towns.

2) Some of the girls have also come out for the supplemental non-practices we've had in an effort to speed up their development.

3) All of our families turned in their fundraising money by the due date.

4) Several parents have assisted with practices to help keep them flowing.

5) The Team Mom has worked well with the other parents to ensure many of the little things are being handled.

6) We've got 4 parents and a volunteer assistant ready to handle scorekeeping duties, as needed.

7) We've got 2 people ready to take care of field prep on game days.

8) All the players are giving the team a full effort in each practice.

9) The players are building off-field relationships with one another.

10) Parents are telling me that their girls really love being a part of this team.

At our initial team meeting, I spoke to everyone, outlined the league's policies and outlined my own for the team. We also sent the players out while I spoke to the parents separately. They were all onboard with what we wanted to achieve here and they've been fully supportive of that mission since we began.

I know that we'll have our highs and lows this season and that we might lose every game, but for right now, I could not be happier with the way things have progressed.

Jul 26, 2010
That's awesome ;)

Rec ball is just starting here. Was at the initial parent/team meeting for my 6 year olds 7U team last night, it's her first year with softball and she's very excited, it's so nice to be with the little ones again!

I'm coaching a 14u rec ball team (in addition to my 12u TB team) this year, and my first team/parent meeting is tomorrow, practice starts Saturday. I'm looking forward to it, now to recruit those volunteers. . . . ;)

-W

Jun 21, 2010
We have three Abby's on our team. Gotta love that!

Seriously, we have a very supportive group of parents. Head coach has three assstants--I'm one of them, and another dad who likes to help. Three moms who handle all paperwork and phonecalls. Great bunch of girls. Head coach has alot of experience and will be fun to work with--I've known him for a few years.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I have been very fortunate with my teams so far. I coached my oldest DD her 1st 2 years and have coached both DD's teams the last 2. I explain everything to the parents on the 1st practice. I explain practice schedules and routines. I tell them what to expect from me during the season. I tell them that their actions at a game are a reflection on the DD's, me, and the community. I haven't had any problems out of parents thus far. I figure that's rare for coaching 4 teams through 3 seasons.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523