Why aren't softballs roughed up like baseballs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
In our second to last game of the MS season, the ump rolled them around in the dirt with his foot. I'm newer to coaching so I had never seen it. HC had when coaching baseball. I think the ump told him they had just been instructed to start doing it again.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
My daughter is a pitcher. During playoff so many balls were lost brand new ones were given to her to pitch. I could tell she didn't like the feel. She bent down and scrubbed them on the dirt between pitches. I'm not sure that is acceptable but luckily no one said anything. Maybe she should just put a nail file in her pocket a la Joe Niekro!
This was allowed at the state level? Sounds like umpires selected from good ol boy system.

Mar 8, 2016
A pitcher at the D3 WCWS was called for an illegal pitch for scuffing up a new ball in the dirt. She had done it 2 days before and not been called for it. I assume the umpire just missed it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Mar 8, 2016
Interestingly an umpire retrieved a foul ball at the D3 WCWS and found it to be excessively tachy. The penalty for that was just a warning to the pitcher.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Well...can get a big dog to do it
Screenshot_20220614-082910_Chrome.jpg

Or how about instead of pitcher doing something that inadvertently causes an issue with the umpire
HAND THE BALL TO THE UMPIRE TO DO IT!
Hey blue this ball seems like it's really slick can you give it a little ruff up?!
Otherwise since lots of the time teams bring game ball, make sure it's done before it leaves the dugout.

Sep 19, 2018
We played a tourney last weekend with some kind of Trump ball. Virtually no seems and a 'plastic' covering. One of the umps was really rubbing them up before one of the games. All in all, whatever saving per ball was lost due to throwing balls out of play due to the cover ripping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi