Why aren't softballs roughed up like baseballs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
My daughter used to hate brand new softballs since they are a bit slippery and would rough up new balls if given a chance.

Why aren't softballs rubbed with baseball mud as are all baseballs?

Apr 25, 2019
My DD's high school team roughs them up before each game. That is one of the freshman duties....go over to the bullpen and rub them in the dirt.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My daughter is a pitcher. During playoff so many balls were lost brand new ones were given to her to pitch. I could tell she didn't like the feel. She bent down and scrubbed them on the dirt between pitches. I'm not sure that is acceptable but luckily no one said anything. Maybe she should just put a nail file in her pocket a la Joe Niekro!

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
We had gotten a newer ball during a game a season ago and our pitcher immediately took it and started to scuff it and the ump got mad at her. Eventually he let her but there were words between the ump and our coach.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
My DD's high school team roughs them up before each game. That is one of the freshman duties....go over to the bullpen and rub them in the dirt.

Same with our HS team. We rough them up before every game. Use a tack cloth on them as well🤫
No! Just no. Give the balls to be used for the game to the PU and have him/her rub them up. The umpire will rub them up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi