Who funds catchers equipment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
I think most of the cheap equipment is still decent equipment. I don't think your sacrificing safety so much as weight. My observation has been that the bottom of the line catching gear is much heavier than the more expensive gear.

I've never seen catching gear that was so "cheap" that I thought it looked unsafe.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Safety follow up

Agreed that even the 'cheap' gear usually isn't a safety concern - unless its ancient, its had to been certified to meet specific performance standards. The safety issue typically stems from the common or shared use of equipment that doesn't fit properly, either because its too big or small or, most commonly, if it isn't adjusted properly i.e., the drooping chest protector and/or incorrectly adjusted throat protector that expose the neck, or the leg guards that are too loose and turn etc.

Sep 3, 2009
For starting out, I think the cheap stuff would be fine. They're certainly not going to say "I wanna be a catcher", and then play that position the next game. I guess my point was that I'd prefer to err on the side of safe. I wouldn't want to settle on the helmet. We're talking safety, why save a few bucks? Chest protectors I don't think it's much of an issue. The high end ones might be slightly better protection, but totally necessary? Probably not. Leg guards, yes and no. The higher end Schutts and Eastons will have extra "scales" (not sure what to call them) for the top of the foot/toe area, and the top of the thigh. The first time your daughter gets a foul ball in one of those areas, you'll know what they're for. The biggest difference is going to be in comfort. Especially if your daughter's team has shorts. The straps on the leg guards and where they are positioned. Also when you get up in leg guards, they will have alot more padding, and usually some good inserts in the knee area. Big time difference when they're dropping on their knees all day blocking balls. That's a tough position being back there sweating your behind off on those 95 degree days, playing 4 or more games a day in a tournament. Anything you can do to keep your catcher comfortable is going to add to their longevity in those tournaments.

I'm not knocking the cheaper stuff. If this is new for them, don't blow a huge amount of money for them to try it out. Let them try a used set, or even just a cheaper set until they've shown a commitment, and will stick with it.

But I wouldn't want to be the guy that saved a few bucks on a helmet. Concussions, tooth, nose, ear injuries, etc. I just don't think saving $40 is worth the risk. Just my personal opinion. But I don't think it's as much of an issue at 8 or 10u. 12u and getting increasingly more necessary at 14u and up, yes. :)

Oct 21, 2009
hi

Louisville GENW Genesis Wheeled Equipment Bag Genesis Wheeled Equipment Bag holds all your gear. Features a ventilated stall for shoes/wet clothes and wider wheelbase with inline wheels for stability. Side pocket for valuables and a rubberized - Equipment Baseball Bags - Black - Equipment Baseball Bags

Geeks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi