How much chatter and what should it include?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
In another recent thread RADcatcher suggested I start a thread about what are and aren't proper things for an umpire to discuss with a player (especially the C).

I will go over my personal first inning spiel and a short laundry list of things I have talked to catchers about in the past. Remember, some of this is level-dependent, not because of improper content but because of applicability.

1st inning (while looking at the warm-up pitches from in the slot)

Hello, what is your name? I am either Ed or Mr. Lovrich, whichever you prefer. Blue is a color or the name of a hunting dog. What pitches has she got for me today? Does she throw them all anywhere in the count?

That will usually do it.

If the pitcher starts to look in on calls she disagrees with, I will call time and clean the plate between pitches, looking at the catcher, "Go out and tell her where those pitches are. Nobody wants me to be the one to have to deal with someone arguing balls and strikes." This of course presumes that I have been letting the catcher know when a pitch just misses and we have worked out what is and isn't a strike. The same thing if the dugout has been getting chirpy. I will tell the C that she is a leader on the field and needs to talk to the bench jockey before I have to.

In addition, and this is where knowing what the skill level of the game is, I MIGHT have a catcher go out and talk to a P about something mechanical that is getting borderline to being a violation. Honestly, this happens more in baseball where there is something that is close to a balk, but I wil let a C know if her battery-mate is getting close to a quick pitch.

Some might think this last part is coaching rather than preventive umpiring and I get that viewpoint. What do you coaches here think? What about you catchers? How much is too much? What is the difference between coaching and preventive umpiring?

There is one other thing I might say to the two players who can hear me talk (the batter and the catcher). If I have called a pitch that should have been a strike a ball, I will take a moment and tell the batter, "I wouldn't let that pitch go by again, I might have missed it"

Jun 26, 2019
I have seen an umpire warn a coach for a runner for leaving early with young players. Would you do that for older kids if it’s close?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
If I wasn't 100% sure I saw it I am not calling it, anything over 14u I am not saying anything, they know by then

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I'm an old man, they are young girls, I don't talk to them at all.

Generally, with softball my convos are extremely limited. An intro "How are you, let's have a great game". Then pretty much just "Nice throw". "I've got that outside". "You gotta let me see that inside". Stuff like that. I wouldn't be giving the catcher the kind of preventive stuff Ed was talking about. But to each their own.

For the boys, they don't stop talking, and it's pretty much always initiated by them. From this weekend: "This weather sucks", "Whatcha get your mom for mother's day?", "How's your season going?" "You like my intro song?" And they constantly ask about the count, the outs (I think they have short term memory loss), where pitches were.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi