Whip Hit - my daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 28, 2008

This my dd using a whip hit. This is more of an advanced drill.

Straightleg

Straightleg,

I don't like the extending away from the body and getting long out in front on this swing. Is this the purpose of this drill? The back elbow gets up above her head also during the load and the swing was a push to the ball .

EL

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Eric
The whip hit drill is for keeping the hands inside the path of the ball, It cures a casting out swing. It also works on the release

I see your point it is hit pretty far out front.

Straightleg

Where did the ball actually go in lieu of where the hands went? Just a thought....

Thanks Howard

May 12, 2008
Eric
The whip hit drill is for keeping the hands inside the path of the ball, It cures a casting out swing. It also works on the release
Straightleg

I find devices like the whip hit, medicus bat, rope bat, ball in a sock and the like useful for exposing swing plane and disconnection issues and teaching the feel of a good clean swing plane and connection. This relates to Adair's statement the bat should be swung like a rock on a rope.

Jan 29, 2009
Straightleg,

Your daughter needs to delay her hand movement during the sequence of the swing. She is getting a false sense of separation most likely.

Good separation does not truly exist unless foot is on the ground as the hands reach their deepest position. She's getting her hands to their maximum point, but her foot is still off the ground. Needs better Tempo, and this move needs to occur naturally within the swing. We don't like any part of a player's swing that looks forced or involves a noticeable amount of effort.

The simplest way I have taught players of any age or ability to sequence the lower and upper half is this:

"The Knob of the Bat, and the Front Knee CAN NOT go in the same direction

When we put this theory into play with hitters, we stop seeing False or Early Separation. Kids have a fairly easy time feeling the knob of the bat versus the front knee.

As a matter of fact, we do some sequencing work, where we really work the opposite action of the knob and the knee as we prepare to hit, by simply brining the front knee in during our negative move, and bringing our knob forward towards the pitcher, over the front knee. From there, and in rhythm, we begin our positive move and beging to separate

The kids that will naturally have late hand movement, to promote great separation are very rare, and they all hit well for a reason. The other 99% have to retrain how the nervous system.

Jan 10, 2010
To my untrained eye that looks like a damn good swing to me. My daughter is a 13 year old and if we ever get to a point where her swing looks like that or the one you posted over at EB I will be giddy with excitement. Does that mean there's no room for improvement of course not. Something can always be changed. But she looks pretty good with thatwhiphit bat in her hand. Thanks for posting that. I will use that video as a comparison of my daughter. Hopefully this week, I will get a shot of my daughter from the exact same position. Hitting one ball of course and see how they compare. It's exciting to see if what I see as a problem is what you guys see. I am learning and the more I learn the better I hope to be able to dissect my daughters swing and come up with solutions to problems with the swing.

There is so much information here between here and EB, I am excited to think about how far my kids can go with all the help available.

Jul 28, 2008
Eric quote:
The back elbow gets up above her head also during the load

Eric.

We are not trying to do that.I try to get her to load straight back, not wrap. But her load on this swing, dont some MLB players do this in there swing. Tilt the bat head to the pitcher?

If she had a bat in her hand I think that would have happened in this swing.

Straightleg

Straightleg,

yes you see MLB hitters do this when they get the back elbow high. I also see this in the hitters that set a heavey bat instead of setting it light.

EL

May 12, 2008
To my untrained eye that looks like a damn good swing to me. .

It IS good. But, the goal is better today than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow. :)

There is so much information here between here and EB, I am excited to think about how far my kids can go with all the help available.

Be aware some of the information on here or any public board will be at odds with...well, at odds.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
She is a work in progress and her dad is her coach and he is still learning also.

Gerry how long has she even been playing soft ball and at what level?

Thanks Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877