Which girl would you go with?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
10U LL. One girl has a good arm, but isn't as good at fielding. She dropped 2 pop ups, tonight, trying to basket catch.

The other one has an excellent glove but not as good of arm.

Which one do you go with?

Apr 12, 2010
Your talking about catchers right Amy?
Go with whoever blocks better, I guarantee the girl who can stop the most "junk" will save more runs than a girl who can pick off an occasional steal attempt, especially at the rec level.
I remember 10 runs or more scored from passed balls alone in several rec games.

As your breaking the girl from basket catches, make sure she knows the right way to face when fielding a pop-up, if time allows, she should be facing the backstop.. trying to get it from the other direction can be murder with the backspin.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I do like mudbug's answer. I would have to ask which one is more willing to learn and work to improve. We have noted that the catcher who is willing to work to improve and is teachable can improve in all areas with instruction.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Chazbz - without saying too much about someone's DD, "Yes, I had told her to turn her back to the backstop." She is not my student. The catcher's have been to lessons with the pitchers.

One is the coach's kid.

Fortunately, I am not interested in the mom's. Heck, I am not even interested in the dads.

Dec 28, 2008
On Let's Make a Deal they always start with 3 doors, and you are only giving us 2 to choose from ... so here is door #3: Who's got the better bat?

I agree with Sluggers 100%, hard to teach ligaments to tighten up

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Maybe its just me but I think its easier to teach a kid to throw than to catch, so i would take the kid that has the eye tracking ability and eye/hand coordination and teach her to throw at that age.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck