where's the head coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yes I do, females included. No exceptions. All the Team's parents, relatives if they come to games or practice, all the Managers and coaches in the league and the umpires that do our games.

Easy to do and I encourage everyone to do it.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I have had this conversation numerous times and still have not settled on an opinion. Why do you care if the Manager has a DUI, thief convection, felony, etc. I only care about “sex” offenses, which I personally check for all the adults that show up at games or practice.

You seriously don't have a problem with a convicted felon coaching young girls as long as the felony wasn't sex related? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. If so, I apologize in advance.
Convicted felons, theft convictions, and multiple DUI's should be major warning flags. I'm not saying that it should automatically disqualify them, but it should require additional scrutiny as the least.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Yes I do, females included. No exceptions. All the Team's parents, relatives if they come to games or practice, all the Managers and coaches in the league and the umpires that do our games.

Easy to do and I encourage everyone to do it.

How do you do a background check on relatives that come to the games? Don't you have to have permission, or DL#, or something like that?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have not settled on a firm opinion but currently yes I am OK with a convicted felon being a Manager of the Team.

I introduce myself to everyone and get their names, when I get home I run a check. Not a background check, just a search of the offenders’ database.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
To get back to the OP's concerns, I would have an issue with the manager missing games for a migrane. If the manager committed at the beginning of the season to do the job and has been unavailable for several practices and half of the tournament experience thus far, you have an issue. If you are part of an organization, you need to address the issue with whatever board assigned this coach to your team. I am assuming you are paying alot of money to play for this team, much like the rest of us. The organization is not living up to their end of your financial agreement. If it is a single team, who is the person in charge? Someone has to decide what tournaments, when to practice, uniforms, etc....As someone who has to juggle my work schedule with practices and tournaments, I understand that it may not be possible to make every event. I do know in advance if there is a conflict and make the necessary plans if i am to be absent. As a coach, I would be upset if one of my players called me Sunday morning to let me know they weren't coming because of a migrane. Once is excused, twice would be a problem.

You are in a tough spot. I honestly would start looking for another team, at this point. It will be tough to find a spot this late into the season. At least start making contacts for next fall. Normally I would say try to stick it out, with hopefully a new coach. But if the organization has given this guy a team, and has taken no actions yet??????? They have to know he misses practice and now games. Find a program that has been around for a few years with experienced coaches. If you look now, it will be obvious to see the teams you want your DD to be a part of. One tip, avoid any team with neon green or bright orange uniforms. Sure sign of daddyball. :)

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I have not settled on a firm opinion but currently yes I am OK with a convicted felon being a Manager of the Team.

I introduce myself to everyone and get their names, when I get home I run a check. Not a background check, just a search of the offenders’ database.

The one main thing that would really come to mind would be the amount of $$$$$ in team funds this felon had access to.

Oct 25, 2009
The one main thing that would really come to mind would be the amount of $$$$$ in team funds this felon had access to.

I would be concerned with how volatile a person could become if they were, say, convicted of manslaughter in the past. I would rather them steal everything than to blow their top and kill a fan or two.

I believe in precaution but I definitely wouldn't want to coach in an atmosphere of distrust or paranoia. I don't think I like the idea of checking out all the parents, their friends, and relatives, etc. I wouldn't resort to this level of concern unless they were working directly with the kids. As a matter of fact I would be more suspicious of the person with the greatest suspicion.

From my experience over the years the ones to watch the closest are the self-righteous. Time and time again this has proven true.

Jan 25, 2011
Well,my dd is commited to this team and org.,she is having a good time and being seen by other TB teams and that is what she was hoping for.I needed to rant a little bit and this was the place that I felt,that I could do it.I myself was more upset then my dd,I had to ask myself who this was for me or my dd.This is for my dd,not me,her and I talked about how she felt about the team.She is having a great season and that is most important.My dd will support the team ,HC and asst.coaches,as will I.Sometimes you have to give it a few days to see the whole picture.Thank you to all for your views.This doesn't mean that I will not keep a heads up with what is going on,but keep a postive out look.

Oct 25, 2009
How do you do a background check on relatives that come to the games? Don't you have to have permission, or DL#, or something like that?

You do not have to have permission to look at public records, which are what criminal records are. The sex offender database is free and readily accessible. You can easily find out if there is a sex offender living near you. This is good information to know for your family's security. One should use good judgment when dealing with a person's past mistakes. People change and sometimes people are unfairly branded. You would be surprised at some of the stories that have been in the news where people are branded for life unfairly. Google some of those stories.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I agree phreak, we have a family friend that was charged/convicted and placed as a sex offender.... he was peeing in an ally by a dumpster

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors