Where would I find The Barry Bonds drill?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
No, this isn't a steroid-related question!:D

I don't know if there's a better name for it but this is what it was called when I learned of it. This is the drill with a machine where the batter hits a couple then steps closer to the machine, hits a couple, moves up and keeps going to a point and then works her way back to where she started
I came across it a few years ago and have been doing it with my DD in the "off-season".

I was telling her soon-to-be HS coach about it and he was very interested. I don't kinow if the way I'm doing it is correct or not, but it works for us.

Does anyone know where I could find this described on line? I'd like to send it to the coach FYI.

thanks!

This isn't an endorsement of BP with machines, just a method of practicing with those machines.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
No, this isn't a steroid-related question!:D

I don't know if there's a better name for it but this is what it was called when I learned of it. This is the drill with a machine where the batter hits a couple then steps closer to the machine, hits a couple, moves up and keeps going to a point and then works her way back to where she started
I came across it a few years ago and have been doing it with my DD in the "off-season".

I was telling her soon-to-be HS coach about it and he was very interested. I don't kinow if the way I'm doing it is correct or not, but it works for us.

Does anyone know where I could find this described on line? I'd like to send it to the coach FYI.

thanks!

This isn't an endorsement of BP with machines, just a method of practicing with those machines.

It got the name from friends of mine that actually worked camps with Bonds back in the 90's.

As a right handed hitter use a left handed glove and we get about 10 feet away and bounce balls and the hitter sets up in their normal stance hands up, stride ,track the ball into the glove with the their eyes and catches the ball palm up. Once they get that have them do it with a person standing about 15 feet away and do an arm circle and we load at the K and step on the release.

Now set the speed to 55 MPH (choose age or athletic appropriate) The hitter sets up beyond where the catcher sets up. We are working low to high as we advance one step after each catch and slow to fast as we move forward. In my opinion wear a helmet! Common sense dictates with the glove you must adjust so you can catch the low pitch and high pitch as you move forward and gain confidence. The right handed person who is being converted to left find this drill really helps them a lot! Work up the middle, then away and finally inside.

When you get forward remember your mechanics for catching the ball is still relevant to palm up as would be for hitting, reverse the process and step rearward after each catch. We considered this one cycle then get out and take a break. Then introduce the bat and start as noted above and try to see how close you can get to the machine SAFELY! IF you get to close the ball may rebound off a tire or wheel or even go back through the machine and hit the feeder. I would use an L screen.

You will find once they have moved 4 to 7 feet most hitters will struggle with the increased speed as it presents a timing issue. This is why I laugh when I see a coach move all his team up in the batters box during a game without understanding what 4 plus feet can do IF the kids have never practiced for it!

We feel this creates a swing DNA as they learn to adjust, visually and mentally and see the difference and will start to understand their load and stride, hip sequence and momentum. They start with low pitches and have to adjust to higher pitches and faster speeds and then from higher to lower and less speed. Then move them away from the plate and instruct them them to hit the ball to the opposite field and then move them in and instruct then to pull everything. At the end of his presentation Bonds would slide a glove onto the end of his bat and say if I can catch it with my glove then I can catch it with my bat!

I have used this drill for at least 11 years as I do not use pitching machines for batting practice, I use it for timing and rhythm adjustments.

Thanks Howard

Oct 19, 2009
I like any drill that forces the player to adjust, and this one sounds like a good one. I’ve seen coaches have their team hit off pitching machines all off season then can’t touch live pitching, even though they hit the machine pretty hard.

Anything drills that force the batter to adjust to different locations and speeds should benefit the hitter.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks Howard- this is a lot more comprehensive than my previous understanding!
In addition to what we are currently doing, I can employ this with DD from the opposite side of the plate (something she's experimenting with) as well as with my younger DD who is just beginning to get exposed to faster pitching (U10)

great info, thanks a lot!

One question though- I get the concept with the glove, but isn't it hard to catch a pitched ball while swinging the glove with the palm up rather than palm facing the ball? I want them to hit palm up/palm down, but I would thing it extremely difficult to catch with the glove in that position.

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Thanks Howard- this is a lot more comprehensive than my previous understanding!
In addition to what we are currently doing, I can employ this with DD from the opposite side of the plate (something she's experimenting with) as well as with my younger DD who is just beginning to get exposed to faster pitching (U10)

great info, thanks a lot!

One question though- I get the concept with the glove, but isn't it hard to catch a pitched ball while swinging the glove with the palm up rather than palm facing the ball? I want them to hit palm up/palm down, but I would thing it extremely difficult to catch with the glove in that position.

OBBAY as a right handed hitter using a lefty glove the palm is up. This was the reason for starting to track the ball into the glove with the eyes. Gives them a warm up and concept of what the eyes are doing. A lefty hitter will use a right handed glove. I remember seeing Bonds do this during games as he would have someone in the dugout throw balls to him and he would catch the balls with his left hand ,bear handed before going into the on deck circle.

I have never had an issue with the catching portion of the drill as they can see it going into the glove with the palm up.

Thanks Howard

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
OBBAY as a right handed hitter using a lefty glove the palm is up. This was the reason for starting to track the ball into the glove with the eyes. Gives them a warm up and concept of what the eyes are doing. A lefty hitter will use a right handed glove. I remember seeing Bonds do this during games as he would have someone in the dugout throw balls to him and he would catch the balls with his left hand ,bear handed before going into the on deck circle.

I have never had an issue with the catching portion of the drill as they can see it going into the glove with the palm up.

Thanks Howard

With the palm up, are the fingers pointed slightly downward? In other words, is the pocket of the glove open to the plane of the pitch.

The visualization of palm up might be construed to be a flat hand as if holding a tray. In that case the ball would hit the side of the glove instead of the pocket.

Last edited:

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
With the palm up, are the fingers pointed slightly downward? In other words, is the pocket of the glove open the the plane of the pitch.

The visualization of palm up might be perceived to be a flat hand as if holding a tray. In that case the ball would hit the side of the glove instead of the pocket.

Yes they are down so the pocket is open and you ca see the ball actually go into the glove....I consider this palm up.

Palm up that high would not be at a point during which contact is being made.

Thanks Howard

Oct 19, 2009
We did the Barry Bonds Drill at practice Friday night, I tried it also not going to tell you how I did.

We hit machine baseballs at 51 MPH at 35 feet. out of a bucket of balls my girl missed only 2 balls she got so close I was afraid for her safety and started her going back, she was early or late on a number of them, I think she did good. ;)

We did something like it before not as challenging and it's been a while.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
We did the Barry Bonds Drill at practice Friday night, I tried it also not going to tell you how I did.

We hit machine baseballs at 51 MPH at 35 feet. out of a bucket of balls my girl missed only 2 balls she got so close I was afraid for her safety and started her going back, she was early or late on a number of them, I think she did good. ;)

We did something like it before not as challenging and it's been a while.

Make sure when she starts getting close that the tires/ wheels could be hit and bounce back at the hitter. We have found this drill requires making adjustments on every pitch just as if it were a pitcher. During game time this has really helped them with their confiedence as they know they can dance with the pitcher!

Thanks Howard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck