Where to demo bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

EJL

Jun 24, 2008
Emmetsburg, Ia
We live in rural NW Iowa. Time to get DD a new bat. In the past we have always just looked online, found one that looks neat, and bought it. I would really like to take her to a place where she can try out several different bats rather than just getting a neat looking bat. Do you suggest a large sporting goods store? No clue where to go. Don't mind a moderately long drive somewhere. FWIW she a senior. Had been using a 33/23 Stealth, until it broke. Went back to her 5 or so year old 34/24 Synergy. She really likes the look of the new Easton Synergy and Stealth Speed bats.

Thanks,
Ed

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Since you are talking end loaded bats, then a balanced bat ?? Has anyone looked at her swing first ? Switching should have caused major issues? If you can post her swing, I'm sure someone on here would reccomend end loaded or balanced, so you go in the right direction. If you are playing high school ball in the area, cold weather would be a big isue. I would then suggest the Rip It because you can play with it down to 50 degrees. We carry two bats, both balanced.

EJL

Jun 24, 2008
Emmetsburg, Ia
SBFamily, at the risk of hijacking my own thread, which of the bats I mentioned is end loaded? (I don't mean for that question to be snippy. When I re-read it, it sort of sounds that way) The Stealth and Synergy both felt like balanced bats. Regardless, she has no issues with her swing. Very consistent power hitter. Just looking for suggestions on where to go to actually put hands on several different bats before we buy a new one. Opportunties in my area are nil.

Ed

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
SBFamily, at the risk of hijacking my own thread, which of the bats I mentioned is end loaded? (I don't mean for that question to be snippy. When I re-read it, it sort of sounds that way) The Stealth and Synergy both felt like balanced bats. Regardless, she has no issues with her swing. Very consistent power hitter. Just looking for suggestions on where to go to actually put hands on several different bats before we buy a new one. Opportunties in my area are nil.

Ed

Are there any Universities in the area that play softball? Most coaches are willing to help within their community and have bat deals or a bat you could try.

Most of our girls that play on travel teams borrow each others bats just to try it out and I have never seen it become an issue. Dan's issue is valid on end loaded verses balanced as we have seen going from balanced to end loaded become a disaster because they did not have a proper hand path to start with.

Howard

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
We went to the local pro-shop at "Extra Innings" the staff there allowed DD to try hitting some softees
in a tunnel to get the feel for the bats. Their prices are competitive to what we found on-line as well.
They are a franchise, so check if there is one nearby

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
EJL: you are correct. I read the post wrong. Both are balanced. We have a young lady in your area that bought a rip it last year, because of cold weather. They had the same issues of testing bats.

EJL

Jun 24, 2008
Emmetsburg, Ia
HITTER, that is an excellent idea and I smacked my forehead when I read it. Why didn't I think of that? We have a junior college 25 miles from here. I know the coach well and I'm sure he'll let us try some of his bats. I'm thinking he gets his bats mostly from Worth, but it's worth a try.

Coach JV, your suggestion is exactly what I was looking for........sort of. I checked the Extra Innings website and it shows it in New England. Right idea, too far away.

Any other ideas?

Ed

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I am fortunate to have 3 indoor batting cages within 10 miles of my house. Extra innings
is by far the best of the bunch. Since they opened, we do not go anywhere else. If I were younger
and more energetic, I would consider buying a franchise. It is a 'destination' type business

EJL

Jun 24, 2008
Emmetsburg, Ia
Thank you Poseidon for that info. That's what I needed. We love to find a reason to go to the Twin Cities. I will call them as soon as they open today!! Thanks to all who replied.

Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krugersoftball