Where is the missing speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2015
I am looking for your help. Below are 2 clips of my DD. The story - 3rd year in transition to IR, 2nd year 10U. First clip is from May of 2015. Game speed 43-45. 2nd clip is from today. Hopefully you see improved knee to knee at release (Rick Pauly greatest drill #10...thank you Mr Pauly) and more flex from 9 oclock with better brush (Java...Boardmember 👍).

Her speed had steadily increased to 46-48 through the end of 2015. Recently she is back in the 44-46 range and frustrated! Where is the missing speed?

I see when watching the two clips that her drive mechanics have slipped...which makes some sense because her show it speed is 40-42. Seems like at least 2 mph missing from drive. What about her whipping motion? Can it be better? What else am I not seeing?

Thanks for your help!

Clip 1, 5-6-15
[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bycqtn-kkKgqdEpNOWZOWE0wUHc[/video]

Clip 2, 3-12-16
[video]https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bycqtn-kkKgqTTNCeU9Uc3Zad3M[/video]

Feb 7, 2013
I think you answered your own question, her drive mechanics in the old clip were much better. With that said, + or -, 1-2 MPH difference on any given week is expected and not unusual. Do you have a reliable radar gun? I have had very good, reliable results with the Pocket Radar Ball Coach. My readings from the Bushnell gun and RevFire are mixed.

Just wanted to add that much of the speed increase happens as they become teenagers and get taller, stronger, and heavier. As a 12yo, my DD was pitching high 40s. Fast forward 1.5 years and she has grown several inches, gained 15 pounds, and consistently throws in the mid 50's. The hard part will be he slow, incremental speed increases over the next several year to 60.

Last edited:
May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I can't get the first one to play for me. In the second one she's pivoting her foot, she's not getting off the rubber early, her weight transfer is slow. Read the drive mechanics thread, a few times and she what you can do to help her get some momentum going and a quick push off. The 2-step drill is the best place to start. Start slow listen to the details, do it right (my dd rushes thru stuff and doesn't like to take her time and it's hurting her!) take your time really learn the 2-step! That would be my suggestion. But lots of good stuff going on! Keep up the good work!

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I noticed with my own kid, the more she gets her rear in front of the rubber quicker the faster her pitch, she's finally staring to feel it. She doesn't like the feeling, but she likes the speed increase. Also, she's getting lots of, much needed mound time, this has really helped with her speed.

I hate tacos- said no Juan anywhere

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan