Where does Yukiko Ueno rank among the all-time greats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Think it is a good conversation also!
Because the type of pitcher can be viewed in seperate catagories
A. The high strikeout #'s pitcher.
Or
B. The pitcher who forces bad connection/weaker hits working the defense.

Interesting to see what pitcher gives up the LEAST & MOST homeruns.
If that means anything?!
Ah, but should we assume that pitchers have control over how hard the ball is hit? (Luckily, all this work has been done for baseball, and I think this is one of those cases where the same principles apply to softball).

The baseball studies have shown that pitchers have relatively little effect on how hard the ball is hit, though they do have quite a bit of influence over launch angle. And, based on those studies, the strategy should be to get players to hit into the extremes: that is, get players with high average launch angles to go even higher; players with low average launch angles to go lower.

In other words: Pitchers have very little control over how hard a batter hits the ball. They have a lot more control over the angle at which the ball comes off the bat.

With all that being said, I think the answer to your question is A. Because missing the bat completely is the only real way to ensure the batter isn't hitting the ball hard somewhere, and even balls hit hard at less than ideal launch angles can be a pretty good thing for the offense.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
* disclaimer i am not a statistic junky.
Let others keep books ;)
That said~
Statistics are Statistics
Eventho those numbers are, at times, compiled using opinions.
They are Statistics that are measurable to compair.

And as for type of pitchers
Yes there are pitchers that force weaker hits and create things like more grounders.
These pitchers are sought after because of this ability to keep batters off.

Also 'throw this out there' :)
Posibly pitchers who throw harder may have more home runs hit against them.
...but i will leave that question to the statistics 🎉

Perhaps some statistics people will post some compairisons from pitchers previously mentioned.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2012
joan joyce.
not even close.
you can only rate players vs the competition of the time. you would also be wrong to say todays equipment makes a player better then one from a previous era. take todays great player and put her in the "white ball" or whatever yo want to call it era. good luck.
unless of course you think barry bonds was better than babe ruth. i dont.

Jul 14, 2018
Monica Abbott just posted this pic on Facebook, hard to argue that this isn’t the best pair ever.

16a33e4c7e6252c838b06fca1711ed66.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi