Where does Yukiko Ueno rank among the all-time greats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I think to be the best college pitcher of all time you need to have at least one WCWS ring. Osterman and Abbott had great careers after college, but neither has an NCAA championship.
Ooooohhhh now thats a measuring stick!
is that on the pitchers back,
Coach or team?

Nov 18, 2013
Ooooohhhh now thats a measuring stick!
is that on the pitchers back,
Coach or team?
It’s on all three, but the pitcher has more influence than any in how the game turns out. It doesn’t mean Osterman and Abbott aren’t great. I just think to be the best NCAA pitcher ever you have to have won it all. Fair or not when we talk about the GOAT in any sport championships are the first thing looked at.

Jul 5, 2016
A GOAT will typically go deep in playoffs. They won't necessarily win it all. If a pitcher in the WCSWS holds, say, Oklahoma, to two runs per game but the offense can't manage more than one run, I wouldn't hold that against her when picking my pitching staff.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Best ever in my time watching.:
Ueno
Abbott
Harding
Smth
Osterman

In about that order, but I wouldn't disagree with however you ranked them. Harding was unbelievably good for both UCLA and Australia. Fernandez probably has to be in there but the two games I remember are both losses to Australia (where she and Harding both dominated the batters but Austrlalia got some late inning hero hits)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Best ever in my time watching.:
Ueno
Abbott
Harding
Smth
Osterman

In about that order, but I wouldn't disagree with however you ranked them. Harding was unbelievably good for both UCLA and Australia. Fernandez probably has to be in there but the two games I remember are both losses to Australia (where she and Harding both dominated the batters but Austrlalia got some late inning hero hits)
Fernandez could be on the all-time best player list!

Nov 18, 2013
A GOAT will typically go deep in playoffs. They won't necessarily win it all. If a pitcher in the WCSWS holds, say, Oklahoma, to two runs per game but the offense can't manage more than one run, I wouldn't hold that against her when picking my pitching staff.

That’s an interesting article. Some I agree with. Wins are overrated and don’t tell the full story. As a pitcher Dad that’s all too clear. I understand W/L don’t define her career and I know the factors that went into her win total. Even so, it is what it is. If she was a better pitcher she’d have more wins.

it’s a fun discussion even if we disagree.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Think it is a good conversation also!
Because the type of pitcher can be viewed in seperate catagories
A. The high strikeout #'s pitcher.
Or
B. The pitcher who forces bad connection/weaker hits working the defense.

Interesting to see what pitcher gives up the LEAST & MOST homeruns.
If that means anything?!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi