Where does Yukiko Ueno rank among the all-time greats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
RAD, here in the good ole awesome United States of America, us softball nuts are conditioned to love and judge everything softball related to the WCWS.

Ueno has just dominated the World stage since what…..1996? I think that’s when she made her debut?
Ueno's stats just may be in a catagory the question is who are the other #2 #3 #4...

Agree difficult to compare with the many changes, including rules.
Still stats are whats available.

Then group those stats
Olympic team
International team
College

I'm going to look up Debi Doom now...

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Heres this ncaa

I found it interesting that the list of pitchers is a bit skewed towards the earlier years. It is harder to be a great pitcher today facing better batters, better bats and 43 feet vs 40 feet.

Dec 11, 2010
There are some absolutely spectacular pitchers on that list.

IDK- some did face modern bats and hitters, all were certainly competitors and I suspect would have found ways to win.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I found it interesting that the list of pitchers is a bit skewed towards the earlier years. It is harder to be a great pitcher today facing better batters, better bats and 43 feet vs 40 feet.
Hmmm better batters old vs. today is an interesting topic of its own...
Because of the changes to equiptment and rules.
*Batters of today have several more advantages in the box.
Its another situation where compairison is very difficult.

Agree about that article plus no stats #'s to actually compare.

Like these things.
*Most strikeouts
Vs.
*The defense supporting the pitcher. = Defensive outs.

Does Ueno's defense at that level outshine the defensive levels of other teams?

And what else factors in wins
Like Better hiiting?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Hmmm better batters old vs. today is an interesting topic of its own...

This is not to take away from great hitters of yore. What I mean is that more batters today have access to training aids today that were either non-existent or expensive in the past. A lot of science and technology has been thrown at the problem of optimizing athletic performance.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This is not to take away from great hitters of yore. What I mean is that more batters today have access to training aids today that were either non-existent or expensive in the past. A lot of science and technology has been thrown at the problem of optimizing athletic performance.
Agree.

Jul 5, 2016
I think to be the best college pitcher of all time you need to have at least one WCWS ring. Osterman and Abbott had great careers after college, but neither has an NCAA championship.

It's a team sport. The best pitcher in the world can't overcome a lack of offense.