Where does the SS go on a bunt with a runner on first?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

The third baseman or pitcher, whoever does not field the ball should peel back and cover third but if they fall asleep... if your runner from first base would like to race my left fielder to third I am game if my LF loses I will go find another one. I ALWAYS tell my outfielders on every play if you are not moving somewhere you are doing it WRONG. If it is the most routine of nothing plays you should still be running toward the infield just in case.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The third baseman or pitcher, whoever does not field the ball should peel back and cover third but if they fall asleep... if your runner from first base would like to race my left fielder to third I am game if my LF loses I will go find another one. I ALWAYS tell my outfielders on every play if you are not moving somewhere you are doing it WRONG. If it is the most routine of nothing plays you should still be running toward the infield just in case.

We have some 'depends' with this play because when I have a 'stud' 3rd base, a solid catcher with a good fielding pitcher I often leave 1st back. We teach our 3rd base to believe that ALL bunts are theirs and last season I had one where that was pretty much the case.

If you are crashing corners then absolutely SS covers 2nd, 2nd covers first. On an easy fielded bunt you have the chance to get the lead runner this way. Covering 3rd is either a retreating 3rd, the P or LF - 2 of the 3 should be heading that way but if the LF can get there that is our preference.

Outfielders - LF is coming into 3rd, CF is working to back up any possible throw to 2nd, RF backing up the throw to 1st.

Jul 14, 2010
Echo what most have said.

SS covers 2nd. 2nd covers 1st. 3rd, Pitcher or LF moving to 3rd bag if haven't fielded bunt. LF always coming in case others don't or forget or to back-up throw if they don't and there is a play.

90% of the time if you have someone at 3rd or in the area runner will stop at 2nd - may not necessarily need to throw to 3rd just show that it is covered and "not available" to the runner.

Wouldn't want 2nd covering 2nd in this situation. Vulnerable to fake bunt / steals plus a good bunt down the first base line and everybody is safe (pitcher won't get there and if 1st crashes no one to throw to).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I saw a game where P was covering 3B on a bunt. One bunt was hit so only P could field it. Base runner ended up at 3B.

IMHO, the preferable situation is to have RF cover 3B.

Mar 4, 2013
For us, the player that doesn't field the bunt on the left side covers third. That would be either the pitcher or the 3rd baseman, depending on who fields the bunt. We also have the LF run in as the backup if the 3B or P don't get there.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I had this discussion with the other coach on our team. Runner on 1st. Girl at bat bunts. 2nd base covers 1st base. Does SS cover 2nd base or 3rd base? If I am an aggressive coach and I see that the 3rd baseman charges towards home on the bunt, I an telling my runner from 1st base not even to stop at 2nd and continue to 3rd because there is no one covering.

Please advise. Thanks.

During a bunt with a runner on 1B, we coach our SS to cover 2B in case it is a hard bunt and we have a chance to get the lead runner. It is the responsibility of the 3B to get back to the bag. If 3B fields the bunt, then the pitcher should cover 3B. We also coach our LF to charge towards the bag as a backup/last resort incase 3B or P does not get there.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Haven't had a cup of coffee this morning? :)

You haven't seen his right fielder.

lynda-carter.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan