Where Do You Draw The Line?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 29, 2013
This one is so dependent on the sport. In Football, find me one D1A school that doesn't have fans who rip their own teams when they lose and I'll drink a prairie fire on the spot. Same with Men's college basketball. Other sports don't really do that as much, maybe in baseball or Women's College Basketball at some of the bigger schools, but nobody does that to water polo, volleyball, etc.
For softball, I don't know if I would find it appropriate at any level below Olympic/World Championships. My thinking is that none of these athletes get the scrutiny of football or baseball until that level, thus they shouldn't be ripped for playing their sport.
And I'm not saying I necessarily agree with ripping college basketball or football players, I just see why it happens (e.g., give the kids all the attention in the world and don't expect much from them academically and you create expectations for fans). Softball players don't get those "perks," therefore I don't see how you can ever rip them.
My opinion rests solely on on-field performance. If the issue is a crime or some other character flaw, then my opinion changes.

Sep 18, 2011
Another question to ponder- is it okay to discuss D1 coaches who may or may not be on the hot seat? My goodness there are some teams from the power conferences who can't seem to win a game no matter who they play.

Exhibit A:

02/05/15 vs. BYU Phoenix, Ariz. L, 5-4
vs. Stanford Phoenix, Ariz. L, 11-3 (6)
02/06/15 vs. UTEP Phoenix, Ariz. W, 14-5 (5)
02/07/15 vs. Utah Valley Phoenix, Ariz. L, 5-4
vs. Wisconsin Phoenix, Ariz. L, 5-0

NC Central Tournament
02/13/15 vs. Nebraska-Omaha Cary, N.C. W, 2-1 (8)
vs. Delaware State Cary, N.C. W, 14-1 (5)
02/14/15 vs. North Carolina Central Cary, N.C. L, 5-4
vs. Nebraska-Omaha Cary, N.C. L, 9-3

Citrus Classic
02/20/15 vs. Marist Orlando, Fla. L, 6-4
vs. Jacksonville State Orlando, Fla. L, 6-2
02/21/15 vs. George Washington Orlando, Fla. L, 16-9 (10)
vs. Arkansas Orlando, Fla. L, 6-5
02/22/15 vs. Campbell Orlando, Fla. L, 5-2
vs. Elon Orlando, Fla. L, 8-6

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oconnell.patrick