Where do I play this players?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I'm coaching a 10u rec league All Star team. There will be one girl on it that is absolutely exceptional. Great reflexes, sure glove, strong and accurate arm, and most importantly, she's years beyond her age on understanding the game. From base running to fielding, she knows what to do.

She's played 3rd base the previous 3 years. In baseball, the best fielder was usually put at SS. Does this hold true in fastpitch?

Our #1 pitcher throws as hard at 35' as most of the local high school girls throw. No one has gotten a solid hit of this girl all year and none pulled to the left side.

I would imagine that we face a good bit of butting against this pitcher. Where do I play this girl, 3B or SS?

Thanks.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Ss and 3rd base are slightly different skill sets, both in BB and softball. As a general rule I like the best fielders at the corners. From what I have observed the corners get more action then the middle fielders.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
How's your catcher? If you have a chance to get out runners at 2b, then play her at ss.

-W
Decent catcher. We should have opportunities for outs at 2B. My other 2 options at SS are: A) sure fielder strong, accurate arm, but lacks the lateral quickness. B) good fielder decent arm not as accurate as A, but is quicker/faster. Both should have no problem receiving throws at 2B. Neither has the quickness and lateral movement as the 1st girl mentioned.

Apr 1, 2010
JMO, but I would think stud at third (crashing on the bunts and possibly taking over some of the SS's lateral area); option A at SS (still fairly long throws) and option B at second (will have the speed to get to the grounders they might be able to hit over there off the fast pitcher and since the throw to 1st isn't far, the lesser accuracy shouldn't be a big deal).

But do you have someone who can reliably catch the throws to first? That's the big common denominator to making those outs and given what you've described, most of the action is going to be on the right side of the field... I'd forget about either your stud or sure fielding option A on the left side and put one of them on first if you don't have someone who can catch on 1 for you.

Feb 3, 2011
I don't agree 100% with this coach, but you can refer to this link for some things to think about:

Winning 10U Defensive Strategy

One thing you need to consider is that even though hitters in your league did not touch your pitcher, you probably don't know what sort of hitting the other All-Star teams will have. You might very well run into some players who can get their bats around on your ace.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
JMO, but I would think stud at third (crashing on the bunts and possibly taking over some of the SS's lateral area); option A at SS (still fairly long throws) and option B at second (will have the speed to get to the grounders they might be able to hit over there off the fast pitcher and since the throw to 1st isn't far, the lesser accuracy shouldn't be a big deal).

But do you have someone who can reliably catch the throws to first? That's the big common denominator to making those outs and given what you've described, most of the action is going to be on the right side of the field... I'd forget about either your stud or sure fielding option A on the left side and put one of them on first if you don't have someone who can catch on 1 for you.

If I don't have to use her as catcher, I have a good option at 1st B. She'll catch anything she can reach. Tallest on the team, but very limited in movement. Smart ball player to boot.

Nov 1, 2009
In fastpitch I would play her at 2nd base. You say you have a pitch that throws hard so if you keep the ball outside you should be able to funnel most of the hits to the right side. 2b has a lot of responsibilities and since she has a high softball IQ she should be able to do all the coverages required of the position.

Things to think about. If your pitcher is that dominant then count on a lot of bunts and practice your bunt coverage more than anything else you do. Make sure you have a catcher who can catch this dominant pitcher because a dropped third strike will kill you.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
In fastpitch I would play her at 2nd base. You say you have a pitch that throws hard so if you keep the ball outside you should be able to funnel most of the hits to the right side. 2b has a lot of responsibilities and since she has a high softball IQ she should be able to do all the coverages required of the position.

Things to think about. If your pitcher is that dominant then count on a lot of bunts and practice your bunt coverage more than anything else you do. Make sure you have a catcher who can catch this dominant pitcher because a dropped third strike will kill you.

I'm not going to say dominate. She is wild. She usually walks 2+ runners per inning and k's the rest. Because I would expect to see alot of bunts, I'm leaning toward 3rd. That and the fact she's played it for the last 3 years. She has a great understanding of what to do with a runner on 3rd and the ball hit to her. If the runner slips up, she's out.
Once we start having practices, I'll have a better understanding of the other players.

Jun 13, 2011
Billerica, MA
I would put her at second. From what I see most of the plays go here with a faster pitcher. Also with First being less mobile there is more ground to cover than either shortstop or third. If not 2nd then third but play up and off the line. She has to be quick but it sounds like she is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32