When to Start Swinging?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I can do everything up untill I decide to swing. I can load the hands. I can coil. I can uncoil. I can stride. If may hands don't go, I have stopped my swing and applied the brakes.I am aware that there is more to the swing then just moving my hands to the ball. As far as the accelerator. I am also aware that there is more involved in the swing then just my hands. The question was when to start their swings. The batters were late on pitches. I was giving more on the thought process and not so much on swing mechanics. I am always on BBD it gets really involved in the swing mechanics.

rdbass

I might have showed you this before... This is the swing I chose out of model swings, on here.
This showes that the batter is reading ( I Think) the pitchers foot angle, and is seting for an OSP..outside pitch. Interested in your take on it... It speaks to the when to start the swing.

Likes-Leaps-Drags.avi - YouTube

T

theaddition

I can do everything up untill I decide to swing. I can load the hands. I can coil. I can uncoil. I can stride. If may hands don't go, I have stopped my swing and applied the brakes.I am aware that there is more to the swing then just moving my hands to the ball. As far as the accelerator. I am also aware that there is more involved in the swing then just my hands. The question was when to start their swings. The batters were late on pitches. I was giving more on the thought process and not so much on swing mechanics. I am always on BBD it gets really involved in the swing mechanics.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you.
I was curious as to what your thoughts are on the subject.
The Miggy thread on Baseballdebat.com is very informative.
Check out the relationship between the hands and the front leg (indicates unloading of the backside).
Also notice the hand path.
- Login
People should register and take a look.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
rdbass

I might have showed you this before... This is the swing I chose out of model swings, on here.
This showes that the batter is reading ( I Think) the pitchers foot angle, and is seting for an OSP..outside pitch. Interested in your take on it... It speaks to the when to start the swing.

Likes-Leaps-Drags.avi - YouTube

Good vid on timing and when to start the swing. As far as the batter reading the up coming pitch location, I would be very surprised if she wasn't tipped off.
Lesson #7 steal signs
7 Softball Lessons from Alabama’s Patrick Murphy « Softball Excellence

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you.
I was curious as to what your thoughts are on the subject.
The Miggy thread on Baseballdebat.com is very informative.
Check out the relationship between the hands and the front leg (indicates unloading of the backside).
Also notice the hand path.
- Login
People should register and take a look.

theaddition,
My bad, it's so rare that someone agrees with me. I didn't know how to re-act.lol I'm always pushing BBD site. The posters on there are vey knowledgable and passionate.I have read every post on the hitting thread. Take a look at Noones video on sequence. I got my info from this site and BBD. I also learned alot on the take videos. The take videos are videos of a batter that gets ready to hit but,decides not to swing. There is alot to learn on those videos. While on the subject of BBD my 2 favorite posts on the hitting thread are "When to stride" theaddition, I agree about the backside is the stride.(is on page 1 towards the top) and "What exactly is the corner"(is on page 6 ?). Interested to hear what posters think.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Good vid on timing and when to start the swing. As far as the batter reading the up coming pitch location, I would be very surprised if she wasn't tipped off.
Lesson #7 steal signs
7 Softball Lessons from Alabama’s Patrick Murphy « Softball Excellence

Thanks Coach... I never thought to watch the catcher, since you brought it up, I agree with you... and the catcher. At the time I edited the vid, I was just focusing on the pitcher/batter. Would love to see pitcher throw one inside, and see how she throws the foot for them.

T

theaddition

theaddition,
My bad, it's so rare that someone agrees with me. I didn't know how to re-act.lol I'm always pushing BBD site. The posters on there are vey knowledgable and passionate.I have read every post on the hitting thread. Take a look at Noones video on sequence. I got my info from this site and BBD. I also learned alot on the take videos. The take videos are videos of a batter that gets ready to hit but,decides not to swing. There is alot to learn on those videos. While on the subject of BBD my 2 favorite posts on the hitting thread are "When to stride" theaddition, I agree about the backside is the stride.(is on page 1 towards the top) and "What exactly is the corner"(is on page 6 ?). Interested to hear what posters think.

Those vids of Miggy are the best clips ever, IMHO.
I don't want to steal Doc's material, but I presume most here won't go to BBD and register.
I beleive this along with some good vids clears up a lot regarding the mystery of the swing.
Here's a direct explanation from the good doctor:
This has been covered in other DVDs/videos, but many may not have seen….

"The back-leg supplies energy primarily through abduction of the femur (other secondary leg-actions are also involved, but abduction of the femur is the force-producer). The muscles of the front-leg act to block/brace/transfer the energy from the back-leg.

When the front-foot hits the ground, ALL of the muscles from the hip-area down (calves, hams, quads, ab/ad ucters etc) work to stabilize the ankle, knee, and hip from collapsing.
i.e. the muscles of the front-leg act (eccentrically—by lengthening) to decelerate the body’s center-of-gravity and stabilize flexion/extension @ those joints (ankle, knee, hip)..

So all these muscles in the lower-half work together to brace/block/transfer/stabilize..This action allows the front-femur to work on the front of the pelvis like a lever, completing the opening of the pelvis from the front. The opening of the pelvis pulls-on/ supplies energy-to the torso/upper-half..(note*after landing/stabilization/bracing/blocking the muscles will act concentrically--shortening to create movement --usually seen as extension@ the knee just before or after contact)"

Chris Yeager

Along with the above, his expanation of the function of the bacl arm during a baseball swing transformed my DD
into a "hitting Machine" according to her college coach.
My dd has been imersed in Yeagerized training for 4 or 5 years now.
His Isobaseball stuff was extremely productive.

Jul 26, 2010
The better the batter, the later they can start their swing. It's going to vary for every batter. We call this timing. It's the relationship between how fast the batter can swing, how fast the pitch is moving, and the location of the pitch.

The later the batter can start, the more time they have to make a decision. What the batter never wants to do is slow their swing down to connect. They always want to wait as long as they can so make sure their swing is as fast as possible at contact.

-W

Jun 11, 2012
Players should be watching and timing the pitcher from the dugout. In the hole batter should be coming to toe touch same time the batter does. On deck batter should be doing the same but with more focus. The on deck batter should look like a mirror of the batter. You see that in games.

A friend of my DD (who was a D1 player) asked her the question "How many at bats do you get in a game?" DD replied 2 to 4. The friend said you're WRONG. You get at least 21, without extra innings (3 outs in 7 innings). Of course while your batting but also when on deck AND in the dugout. While in the dugout you also get your timing along with her pitching tendencies.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Start every pitcher like this... bunt them, chop...now you've timed them, Sing away, but when you get two strikes, you know you can protect the plate.... make her pitch you about 12... :{))

DD is doing 2 bunts, 2 chops, 2 swing away...

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I have a couple of girls that have good hitting mechanics but they seem to always be behind the ball. I have encouraged them to start their sequence earlier (Dad's in the stands are yelling swing harder/quicker :mad:).

I have heard that as a batter you should start moving when the pitcher starts moving.

Is there a checklist or sequence that I should be looking for? For example, when the pitcher is at the 12 o'clock position the batter should start to coil.

I would imagine this varies by age, I am coaching 12U.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Gunner,

It is not so much an age related thing as it is a pitcher specific thing much of the time.

Hitting is timing and pitching is disrupting that timing.

There are many simple tactics a pitcher can use to destroy the hitters timing. So many I wrote a book on the subject. There might not be anything at all wrong with the batter as most of these tactics can be done so subtly they can hardly be detected.

I went to a 14u tournament of the daughter of an old HS friend. Her team was the strongest hitting team in our area, she was their catcher and a ridiculously powerful hitter, scary strong. Their first game they faced a pitcher they had never seen before.They were in the third inning when I realized why no one had even made contact; SHE WAS USING MY TACTICS! She was doing them so subtly even I didnt spot them for 3 innings.

My friend and the other parents were all making statements like '"Their bats haven't woke up yet" and other statements. That was not the case at all. Even when I pointed out to my buddy and he pointed it out to the coach, it didn't matter. They lost and only had three hits for the whole game.

At any rate, it might not be the batter or their training at fault.

Hal ,

HS/ks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA