When to Start Swinging?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Hi Gunner,

It is not so much an age related thing as it is a pitcher specific thing much of the time.

Hitting is timing and pitching is disrupting that timing.

There are many simple tactics a pitcher can use to destroy the hitters timing. So many I wrote a book on the subject. There might not be anything at all wrong with the batter as most of these tactics can be done so subtly they can hardly be detected.

I went to a 14u tournament of the daughter of an old HS friend. Her team was the strongest hitting team in our area, she was their catcher and a ridiculously powerful hitter, scary strong. Their first game they faced a pitcher they had never seen before.They were in the third inning when I realized why no one had even made contact; SHE WAS USING MY TACTICS! She was doing them so subtly even I didnt spot them for 3 innings.

My friend and the other parents were all making statements like '"Their bats haven't woke up yet" and other statements. That was not the case at all. Even when I pointed out to my buddy and he pointed it out to the coach, it didn't matter. They lost and only had three hits for the whole game.

At any rate, it might not be the batter or their training at fault.

Hal ,

HS/ks

What were those tactics? Or is this a commercial?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
What were those tactics? Or is this a commercial?

I saw her use 2 of the 'Delayed rotation' pitches from my book.

Do you think an old pitcher and instructor cant offer a hitter good information? I also instructed groups of hitters from 8 to college age. I did not instruct in hitting mechanics. I threw batting practice and picked everything to pieces for them. I told them, and their hitting instructor what I saw, any weakness I spotted and what I would throw to take advantage of it.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Timing of the stride could be the issue.

Also, when kids are behind it is possible they have hand/barrel path issues. Justin Stone does a good job of explaining why the first positive move of the hands and placement of the barrel is so critical, although many of his old youtube vids are no longer online. If that initial move is not right, you cannot catch up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA